register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

MazdaSpeed 3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline Discussion of engine, tranny and drivelines.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #1

stevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Anyone fine tune there shifter and tune out a second gear grind?

So for like the 5th time yesterday since buying my car a little over a year ago I did a hard 1-2 shift and ground second gear. And as usual it freaked me out, so I finally got off my ass and did the fine tuning of the cable linkage as shown here: *VIDEO* Fine Tuning your Shifter!

Has doing this,...and only this......done anything for the 1-2 grind?

And how worried should I be about fucking up my tranny because of the grind?
stevessvt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #2

armarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 20 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I haven't done anything with my shifter but it will grind on occassions going into 2nd.. ussual only does it when the car hasn't ran for a while, over night, when I get off work type thing. Call me crazy but I've just been ignoring it, didn't think it was a real issue.

][ 2007 MS3 GT ][MAZDASPEED cai ][ MAZDASPEED cat-back ][ CP-e dp ][ Turbosmart Dual Port ][ SU rear motor mount ][ ITV-22 ][ RallyArmor mud flaps ][ MS6 wheels ][
armarine04 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #3

stevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond reputestevessvt has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by armarine04 View Post
I haven't done anything with my shifter but it will grind on occassions going into 2nd.. ussual only does it when the car hasn't ran for a while, over night, when I get off work type thing. Call me crazy but I've just been ignoring it, didn't think it was a real issue.
Mine is a touch notchy when cold,...but this is a real grind. Is your notchy, or a grind?
 Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #4

armarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the worldarmarine04 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Idk I guess grind is the only way I know how to describe it in words anyways. when cold its will seem a lil stift and give me a short lil "RRR" and fall into gear.

][ 2007 MS3 GT ][MAZDASPEED cai ][ MAZDASPEED cat-back ][ CP-e dp ][ Turbosmart Dual Port ][ SU rear motor mount ][ ITV-22 ][ RallyArmor mud flaps ][ MS6 wheels ][
 Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #5

darth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Changing the trans fluid to ford synthetic or redline solves most of these issues. The redline will make the LSD howl in tight turns though.
darth vader is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #6

meatball18 is the leader of the worldmeatball18 is the leader of the worldmeatball18 is the leader of the worldmeatball18 is the leader of the worldmeatball18 is the leader of the worldmeatball18 is the leader of the worldmeatball18 is the leader of the worldmeatball18 is the leader of the worldmeatball18 is the leader of the worldmeatball18 is the leader of the worldmeatball18 is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

is it a grind or just a notchy feeling? as long as its a notchy feeling an not an audible noise/feeling i would just say ignor it. its the dog teeth in the tranny engaging
meatball18 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

For me it's a definate grind for a split second.
 Old 10-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #8

clos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the worldclos561 is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i fine tuned my shifter also. (delrin) Mazda3Online :: ProtegeGarage :: MazdaRX8Online - Your Source for Mazda Performance
7-Inch Jensen Flip Out Touch Screen, HKS SSQ, MS CAI, Prosport Premium Amber/White Boost Gauge,2nd Cat Gutted, Delrin TRZ MM,16 inch FD rims,TWM shifter Bushings,COBB Turbo Inlet, 28psi, rebuilt stock block, custom rods and piston heads/gaskets, underdrive pulleys, big cams, big oil filter, stage4 clutch, stage4 DISI injectors, Fuel Pump, 4inch Catless TBE with screamer pipe, external wastegate spring modification,Methanol direct twin port duty cycle injection. Tuned by Nator Performance
clos561 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by stevessvt View Post
For me it's a definate grind for a split second.
IDK the more I think about it the more I think it is a split second grind on mine too.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #10

RichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I put redline fluid in my trans which helped. Something that has worked wonders though is leaving it second gear when I park. In the winter it still is a little rough but much better!
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichB For This Useful Post:
labikesrcool (10-08-2009), ungrave (10-21-2009)
 Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Im reaching 50K and and already tranny intent on changing my tranny fluid in the next few thousand miles

Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #12

RichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the worldRichB is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I changed mine twice at 30K intervals
 Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

Is it pretty easy? I know theres a how-to out there, been looking for it for a few minutes now.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

It is pretty easy. I consider it easier than the oil change because you don't have to mess with the damn filter cartridge. The hardest part is getting access to the drain plug. You need like a 24mm bit and mine barely fits with my socket wrench. A ratcheting wrench would be golden!

Why haven't I thought of that until now!
 Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
Team Überfrazn

labikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the worldlabikesrcool is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i can't remember where i saw it but i remember that it was suggested to buy a cheap socket and grind it down just for the change.
- Mitch Hedberg
labikesrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #16

mazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud ofmazdaspeed619sd has much to be proud of
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i dont get that no more, i did the Rear SU engine mount which helped alot, then to finish it off Stage 2 2 short shifter by i forgot the company lol AWM? i forgot and their base bushings. I bought it off SU for like 150? Together for everything i forgot, 200? its a night and day change

AWD BROTHERS SHALL UNITE!

Boys love straight lines.— Men love curves.— =)— Canyon/Circuit FTW!—

mazdaspeed619sd is offline   Reply With Quote