register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Turbo Induction - Have a turbo, intercooler, downpipe question? Anything turbo related belongs here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

TDubTheSubBub is a glorious beacon of lightTDubTheSubBub is a glorious beacon of lightTDubTheSubBub is a glorious beacon of lightTDubTheSubBub is a glorious beacon of lightTDubTheSubBub is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default BNR S4 Install Question

Hey ya'll,
Been working on doing this BNR install the last few days. K04 started smoking. Car was stock minus fuel pump internals and CBE so it's been a huge pain in the wallet/ass. Got the baby K04 out but realized all the nuts were seized to the studs so I had to order 9 more to do this. Anyway, once those get here I'll put in the turbo.

HOWEVER, I swear to god this coolant feed line that came with the turbo CANNOT fit. I assume it is supposed to run over the top of the compressor, but it tweaks it at an angle that makes the banjo bolt catawampus and I'm afraid to try and tighten it and break it. It fits perfect to run it backwards and under but that makes no sense for it to go backwards. Is it possible to heat up and bend this thing or am I f***ed?

To whom it may concern, this is what I'm doing:
ATP Catless Downpipe
TR8 FMIC Intercooler
EGR Delete
BNR S4 (of course)
Cobb 3 Port EBCS
Corksport Fuel Injector Seals (Car has 110k miles, probably a good idea)
JBR 3.5" Widepath Intake
3 Bar MAP Sensor

Last edited by TDubTheSubBub; 08-23-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Shopping List
TDubTheSubBub is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-23-2018, 11:28 PM   #2

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's a tight squeeze. I had the same problem, but I got it to fit.
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

TDubTheSubBub is a glorious beacon of lightTDubTheSubBub is a glorious beacon of lightTDubTheSubBub is a glorious beacon of lightTDubTheSubBub is a glorious beacon of lightTDubTheSubBub is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Here's a picture of it. I could probably force it on but I think the banjo bolt will snap and the hose it sitting against the turbo compressor outlet so I wouldn't even been able to get a hose past the barb. Think I could heat it up and bend it a little? I wouldn't think coolant would be too effective if its rubbing the hot side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1781.JPG (102.7 KB, 36 views)
 Old 08-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #4

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 211
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TDubTheSubBub View Post
Here's a picture of it. I could probably force it on but I think the banjo bolt will snap and the hose it sitting against the turbo compressor outlet so I wouldn't even been able to get a hose past the barb. Think I could heat it up and bend it a little? I wouldn't think coolant would be too effective if its rubbing the hot side.
Get a hold of JP at Edge Autosports or Brian at BNR. I'm sure either of them would be willing to help. They would know how to fit the coolant line on properly. Or perhaps someone else will chime in. Good luck!
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #5

_Mazdarati has much to be proud of_Mazdarati has much to be proud of_Mazdarati has much to be proud of_Mazdarati has much to be proud of_Mazdarati has much to be proud of_Mazdarati has much to be proud of_Mazdarati has much to be proud of_Mazdarati has much to be proud of_Mazdarati has much to be proud of
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like to me it was bent before it got to you. I also had to tweak mine a touch on install. Try heating it up slightly and see if it will bend. If you have a pipe bender handy, now would be the time to use it.

If not, get ahold of where you got it from. But it is definitely bent.

I'll try and get a picture of mine when I leave work to show you how it worked for me.

BNR S4v2
HTP 4" intake
CS injector seals
Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
Full Race FMIC
CPe Triton catback exhaust
ATP long catless DP
E85
HYPNOTIC TUNED

Last edited by _Mazdarati; 08-24-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
_Mazdarati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Mazdarati For This Useful Post:
Thor Hammer (08-24-2018)
 Old 08-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah someone at edge told me it goes under the turbo but then it faces away from the egr where it gets coolant from. Also the install video on edge has the thing going over the top like I'm trying to sooooo...
 Old 08-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Whipped out my heat gun and got horsey with it since i dont see a solution in the near future. Got it bent to where itll go on now over the top, is it ok for it to rest against the compressor housing or should it not be touching anything?

UPDATE: Got it bent a bit so that I could get it to barely not touch anything, put cardboard pieces between where it could hit to tighten down the banjo bolt and it looks good! Isnt, touching anything but the bolt. Burnt my hand a little. Bending it by hand did flatten out the bend a little, nothing major just barely noticeable. just needed a solution so I can drive my damn car again. Thanks everyone!
 Old 08-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #8

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default BNR S4 Install Question

Whipped out my heat gun and got horsey with it since i dont see a solution in the near future. Got it bent to where itll go on now over the top, is it ok for it to rest against the compressor housing or should it not be touching anything?

That’s a feed line. Passing over that tiny speck of a contact point would only matter if that spot got hot enough to flash boil the coolant, but coolant is pumping quickly and passing over it constantly. I doubt it would impact anything at all.

Edit: Corrected my derp moment. Forgot which pipe was which. Either way, it’s coolant. It’ll cool that contact point with what I can only imagine would be zero impact to the coolant temp in the tube. If you are ever curious how fast that coolant flows, just pull off that hose without a clamp. lol

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalkreplace
 Old 08-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

now let's see if I can get this oil return line from hell back on the block
I found a accurate representation of how this entire turbo swap project as been so far.

Last edited by TDubTheSubBub; 08-24-2018 at 08:17 PM.
 Old 08-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

now let's see if I can get this oil return line from hell back on the block

Getting to the bolt head on the one side of the turbo was a pain because the coolant return line passed right over the top of it. Have fun lol

Old 08-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is how this project has gone so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modding In A Nutshell.jpg (8.5 KB, 86 views)
 Old 08-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #12

Neutral  +1 score     

This is how this project has gone so far.

Ok, now try doing that outside, in the snow, in literally 0 degree F weather on New Year’s Day. That was my experience.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:28 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got the turbo sitting in the engine bay with all the coolant/oil drain/feed hooked up. Doesn't seem to want to line up with the exhaust manifold too well, pretty sure its the return. we shall see.
 Old 08-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

I got the turbo sitting in the engine bay with all the coolant/oil drain/feed hooked up. Doesn't seem to want to line up with the exhaust manifold too well, pretty sure its the return. we shall see.

Check the wastegate actuator. Mine touched on the firewall on install. I had to shift the engine mounts a bit to get it to fit.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thought I'd clarify what happened. I can confirm that the coolant feed line is indeed supposed to go over the top of the compressor, same as stock. I had to heat the line with a heat gun and bend it slightly to make it fit.