register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics - Have a problem with the car? CEL Code? Want to discuss other issues? Come on in!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

curlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 16
Groaned at 35 Times in 20 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Parted out, stock tune -- constant knock?

Hi,

This past week I've started parting out my car but have the following still on:
JBR 80 duro TMM
COBB Intake + TIH
Denso IVT 22
PTP HPFP
COBB XLE

Couldn't change any of the parts above because I don't have the stock parts and am waiting for them to arrive.
I put the stock tune on and took it for a test drive monitoring knock. I get a constant knock of 7 without fail. Every time I press the gas it reads 7 knock and when I let off I get 0. Did a solid 10 minute test with the same outcome every time.

I also had a catted CPE DP which smelt slightly of gas when running, when I put the OEM DP in it smells 10x worse. Did some research and there seems to be no posts with the same issue.

Could it be the plugs? Stock tune? It seems to be idling fine but smells too strong of gas. During the day there is also what I think to be more than usual smoke coming from the exhaust (as in if I can see it during the day there's too much smoke -- usually I wouldn't be able to), the smoke is light gray so doesn't seem to be burning oil or coolant.

Any idea? I'm worried about running logs or even running the car too long..
 Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #2

ABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,110 Times in 623 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

7 could be a false reading. Were you in wot when those points came up? And maybe post a log. I would think false reading, cause 7 is a little outrageous.
ABloodBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ABloodBrother For This Useful Post:
curlyface (08-04-2013)
 Old 08-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #3

curlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond reputecurlyface has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ABloodBrother View Post
7 could be a false reading. Were you in wot when those points came up? And maybe post a log. I would think false reading, cause 7 is a little outrageous.
I wasn't in WOT, the reading scared the shit out of me so I decided against it until I posted here. It's literally like clockwork, press the gas knock goes to 7, off the gas knock goes to 0.

I was thinking it might be because my PMM is super weak, my TMM is the only remaining MM with any balls and my engine is seemingly shaking like a bitch.
 Old 08-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

ABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the worldABloodBrother is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

We had some people in our krew hitting numbers like 8.2 and what not. It was definitely false reads. Didnt look to see if you had gen one. I guess the update on ap made the knock sensor extremely sensitive.

Not saying that's exactly what it is but IMO it is most likely just that. I had a legit reading of 4.0 once and the number scared me but not nearly as much as the actual feeling! Car felt like it hickupped and was bout to smack the ground haha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ABloodBrother For This Useful Post:
curlyface (08-04-2013), Raymond (08-04-2013)
 Old 08-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

My car is a Gen1, the other thing throwing me off is the smell of gas in the cabin. I was supposed to take the car for a 4 hour road trip today (although I have another I prefer not to use) but I guess that won't be happening now and I'll take the other to be on the safer side.

Any other tests I could run to see if maybe taking it today is still an option?
 Old 08-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

Neutral  +1 score     

Originally Posted by curlyface View Post
My car is a Gen1, the other thing throwing me off is the smell of gas in the cabin. I was supposed to take the car for a 4 hour road trip today (although I have another I prefer not to use) but I guess that won't be happening now and I'll take the other to be on the safer side.

Any other tests I could run to see if maybe taking it today is still an option?
I mean you said you were running Catless? My car runs excellent, is Catless and stinks of gas and "bad emission" haha. Riding dirty. If you are nervous of car I wouldn't take it. But it sounds alright and if anything just. "Daily drive" it don't put the foot down.

I would definitely log tho. That could answer more of your worries and you could post em here. Definitely would get some answers from that. If when wot car does anything odd just immediately let off. Throw in neutral if needed.
curlyface (08-04-2013)
 Old 08-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well I was running a catted DP and it smelled less of gas than my stock DP does now which is why I think it's weird.
 Old 08-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #8

sidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,356 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 72 Times in 45 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The smell of gas and the engine shaking sounds like it could be misfiring. Have you checked the plugs? You should be running OEM plugs now, not the step colder plugs. They could be fouled and causing a misfire.

FreekTune | 91 | JBR 3", PMM & RMM | CS Racepipe, TMIC & TMM Inserts | Autotechs

sidekick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidekick For This Useful Post:
curlyface (08-04-2013), smoogs12 (08-05-2013)
 Old 08-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sidekick View Post
The smell of gas and the engine shaking sounds like it could be misfiring.
How can I check? I have no CEL although the car has ran a grand total of 10 minutes since we started the part out
 Old 08-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #10

sidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the worldsidekick is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

How can I check? I have no CEL although the car has ran a grand total of 10 minutes since we started the part out
I added a bit more to my post. Try pulling the plugs to see if they are fouled.

FreekTune | 91 | JBR 3", PMM & RMM | CS Racepipe, TMIC & TMM Inserts | Autotechs

The Following User Says Thank You to sidekick For This Useful Post:
curlyface (08-04-2013)
 Old 08-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Didnt even realize op says itv22. If your stock listen to @sidekick; you want oem plugs.
sidekick (08-04-2013)
 Old 08-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #12

jm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the worldjm211 is the leader of the world
Groans: 52
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Had same issue just recently. Like clockwork, on part throttle - up to 5-6kr.

I pulled plugs and retigtened, plus switched toon, and went away. I think one plug backed out.

Aside, you can feel real kr. And to make sure rods are ok, go find a big hill and low gear it up the hill and compression down it.
Cobb AP | Stratified Tune Stage 1 OTS | JBR Stage II Intake | cp-e 3'' Straight Exhaust | JBR RMM | SURE AGS 600 Gram Shift Knob | SURE Anchors | SURE Return | SURE SSP/Weight | All Redline Fluids | Shell T6 | Forge V1

ms6db.com I'm Registered. Are You?
jm211 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jm211 For This Useful Post:
curlyface (08-06-2013)
 Old 08-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #13

smoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,794 Times in 3,106 Posts
Groans: 423
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

OP what you are experiencing is very normal. My own car and countless others do exactly what yours is doing.

The most popular theory is that the ecu is advancing low load timing in order to increase fuel efficiency.

This should ease your fears. Part throttle knock question???
SOLD

1999 Jeep XJ
6.5" Lift | Armor | 33" Tires | Bumpers

1996 Jeep XJ
3.5" Lift | 31" GY Duratracs | Bumpers

1994 Miata
15x8's w/NT05's | KYB AGX | Hardog Roll Bar | 70D Engine Mounts
smoogs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smoogs12 For This Useful Post:
curlyface (08-05-2013)
 Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #14

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,015 Times in 1,768 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

coil unplugged?
SOLD//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 AP // Corksport CTS4
// HKS Ignition // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m4tic For This Useful Post:
curlyface (08-05-2013)
 Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by smoogs12 View Post
OP what you are experiencing is very normal. My own car and countless others do exactly what yours is doing.

The most popular theory is that the ecu is advancing low load timing in order to increase fuel efficiency.

This should ease your fears. Part throttle knock question???
Thanks for the link, that eased my fears a little bit. I didn't drive the car yesterday and washed it today hoping the knock goes away but no such luck, heh.

The cars my DD, until I change the plugs (and maybe that won't even help judging by the above link) do you guys think it's safe to drive ~30KM a day? All my stock parts will be here on Wednesday.

Is there any surefire way to check that at least my engine wont explode? If I cruise at a constant speed and it keeps constantly knocking should I assume something is wrong? I'm worried about a WOT test otherwise I would have posted logs already. Any logs I can provide you guys with?

Weirdest thing is it never ever did this before. I've seen knock > 0 like twice in the 2 years I've owned the car. I checked the clamps and bolts and everything is tight. Maybe I'm not as good a backyard mechanic as I once believed, heh.

/paranoid
 Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #16

smoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the worldsmoogs12 is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,794 Times in 3,106 Posts
Groans: 423
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

/paranoid
I feel like this pretty much sums it up.
SOLD

1999 Jeep XJ
6.5" Lift | Armor | 33" Tires | Bumpers

1996 Jeep XJ
3.5" Lift | 31" GY Duratracs | Bumpers

1994 Miata
15x8's w/NT05's | KYB AGX | Hardog Roll Bar | 70D Engine Mounts
smoogs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smoogs12 For This Useful Post:
curlyface (08-05-2013)
 Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     

Just got in the car to test it out, went for afr reading and get 0.00 on AP no matter what I do. Also have 147 constant psi apparently, even when I'm not giving gas

Sent from my SGH-I337M using tapatalkreplace 4
 Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #18

Neutral  +1 score     

@curlyface; try reflashing your map.

The Following User Says Thank You to sidekick For This Useful Post:
curlyface (08-05-2013)
 Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Updated the AP, put a different map on and she runs like a dream. Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by curlyface; 08-05-2013 at 07:28 PM.
curlyface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curlyface For This Useful Post:
sidekick (08-05-2013)