register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's MazdaSpeed 3 - How-To's - Want help out fellow owners? Post How-To's to simplify future installations for others.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By phillyb

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #1

jasonspeed3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Doing a corksport test pipe install, bought it used, what bolts will I need

Hey guys,
Going to install my test pipe in the morning. I got it used and dont' have hardware, so was wondering what bolts I will need or has everyone just used stock? I seen 1 guy posted to use M10 1.25 bolts, any other opinions. I thought I had read you can use stock, but I don't want to start the job and get my car on the stands only to figure out that the stock bolts won't work. Also, I see 2 braces on there, that look like they will probably need to be pulled, did you guys pull them? I'm surpised there is no test pipe install in the how to section. I searched and found nothing. Any info to prepare for this would be great. Thanks
jasonspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #2

aaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the worldaaronc7 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,466 Times in 2,601 Posts
Groans: 370
Groaned at 171 Times in 143 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

hard to say.... it really depends on all the other variables....what DP and CBE you are running. I had to buy new bolts for mine when I installed it, but I was running the CS DP with stock CBE...so its probably not going to be the same for you. You'll probably be able to use the stock bolts at least on one end, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully someone will drop by who has this exact same setup as you and can give you exactly what you need.

As far as the install.... its 4, 14mm bolts and you just have to pry it off the hangars. Should be pretty self explanatory once you're down there.

You might want to pick up some copper 'spray gasket' stuff at autozone and use that on the ends of the test pipe to help make sure it seals 100%. I've read a few guys who had minor issues...since the test pipe is designed for sure with their 3" system.
aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the stock DP and stock CBE. SO, did you rear bolts fit since you had the stock CBE?

Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
hard to say.... it really depends on all the other variables....what DP and CBE you are running. I had to buy new bolts for mine when I installed it, but I was running the CS DP with stock CBE...so its probably not going to be the same for you. You'll probably be able to use the stock bolts at least on one end, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully someone will drop by who has this exact same setup as you and can give you exactly what you need.

As far as the install.... its 4, 14mm bolts and you just have to pry it off the hangars. Should be pretty self explanatory once you're down there.

You might want to pick up some copper 'spray gasket' stuff at autozone and use that on the ends of the test pipe to help make sure it seals 100%. I've read a few guys who had minor issues...since the test pipe is designed for sure with their 3" system.
 Old 07-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Anybody? I really can't jack the car up and get under there to take it off and then go get the bolts. Don't have the luxury of another car being here while I do the install. Can anyone tell me the bolts I will need to do this install???
 Old 07-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #5

iracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Check out this thread http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/foru...do-i-need.htmlI tried doing my test pipe today and I'm not sure if the stock bolts will fit. I stripped the head completely off one of the bolts which led me to hack sawing it for 2 hours.
Cobb AP, CPE SRI, Cobb Turbo Inlet, Turbosmart Dual-Port BOV, ETS 3.5" TMIC, TRZ Rear Motor Mount, TurboXS Race Pipe, TWM Shifter Bushings, Dabears2k 35W 6000k HID's, Luminiacs 2500k halogen fogs, Putco brake light led bulbs, CPE tow plate, Cobb Springs, OZ Racing Ultraleggara Gold Wheels, weapon r torque damper
iracer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iracer7 For This Useful Post:
jasonspeed3 (07-12-2009)
 Old 07-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks bro. I will head to the parts store and get those bolts and exhaust puddy. Did that get yours ok?

Originally Posted by iracer7 View Post
Check out this thread http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/foru...do-i-need.htmlI tried doing my test pipe today and I'm not sure if the stock bolts will fit. I stripped the head completely off one of the bolts which led me to hack sawing it for 2 hours.
 Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #7

MisterMatt has a spectacular aura aboutMisterMatt has a spectacular aura about
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jasonspeed3 View Post
Anybody? I really can't jack the car up and get under there to take it off and then go get the bolts. Don't have the luxury of another car being here while I do the install. Can anyone tell me the bolts I will need to do this install???
wife still doesnt know?

lol
MisterMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,751 Times in 5,169 Posts
Groans: 1,940
Groaned at 886 Times in 632 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

stripped bolt heads...
hacksawing for 2 hours...sounds like win.
you will probably have to get bolts going from rp to dp as the dp has welded nuts on it. i believe the reason you need to get new ones is to accommodate for the distance between flanges. but this could be totally different for you. nonetheless, those are 14mm hex heads, so probably 10mm threads, as you've already stated.
get ones that are around 3 inches or 75mm if possible. it might be overkill, but at least it'll do the trick. get some nuts that fit as well JUST IN CASE. also, get washers. make sure the bolts are threaded all the way too.
for the side with the cbe, you'll most likely need new hardware here as well. since these are just nuts and bolts, you can use sae instead of metric shit here. they will be less expensive nuts and bolts. get washers. the idea is to reuse the spring bolts here. although, you have hangers on that cs piece, so maybe you don't need to use the springs.
anyway, get some nuts, bolts, and washers, and have at it.
yes, remove the braces...and have fun. spray with pb blaster if you have to. those bolts off the dp were a pita for me
Kbui likes this.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MisterMatt View Post
wife still doesnt know?

lol
Nope, she at work lol
 Old 07-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks man! I got a shitload of nuts and bolt, I will just take back what I dont' need. THink I'm gonna go try this right now.

Originally Posted by phaillyb View Post
stripped bolt heads...
hacksawing for 2 hours...sounds like win.
you will probably have to get bolts going from rp to dp as the dp has welded nuts on it. i believe the reason you need to get new ones is to accommodate for the distance between flanges. but this could be totally different for you. nonetheless, those are 14mm hex heads, so probably 10mm threads, as you've already stated.
get ones that are around 3 inches or 75mm if possible. it might be overkill, but at least it'll do the trick. get some nuts that fit as well JUST IN CASE. also, get washers. make sure the bolts are threaded all the way too.
for the side with the cbe, you'll most likely need new hardware here as well. since these are just nuts and bolts, you can use sae instead of metric shit here. they will be less expensive nuts and bolts. get washers. the idea is to reuse the spring bolts here. although, you have hangers on that cs piece, so maybe you don't need to use the springs.
anyway, get some nuts, bolts, and washers, and have at it.
yes, remove the braces...and have fun. spray with pb blaster if you have to. those bolts off the dp were a pita for me
 Old 07-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #11

iracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond reputeiracer7 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

My dad will probably kill me tomorrow when he gets a chance to yell at me. He didn't know I was trying to install a rp and when he got home today from his parent's river house the car was on ramps and I was driving his 2005 Mustang GT which he never lets me drive. I had to go to work and couldn't finish. He absolutely hates me doing anything to MY car though his name is also on it. This was the biggest pita ever and my mom just put the stock pipe back in there.
Cobb AP, CPE SRI, Cobb Turbo Inlet, Turbosmart Dual-Port BOV, ETS 3.5" TMIC, TRZ Rear Motor Mount, TurboXS Race Pipe, TWM Shifter Bushings, Dabears2k 35W 6000k HID's, Luminiacs 2500k halogen fogs, Putco brake light led bulbs, CPE tow plate, Cobb Springs, OZ Racing Ultraleggara Gold Wheels, weapon r torque damper
 Old 07-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by iracer7 View Post
My dad will probably kill me tomorrow when he gets a chance to yell at me. He didn't know I was trying to install a rp and when he got home today from his parent's river house the car was on ramps and I was driving his 2005 Mustang GT which he never lets me drive. I had to go to work and couldn't finish. He absolutely hates me doing anything to MY car though his name is also on it. This was the biggest pita ever and my mom just put the stock pipe back in there.
Your mom put the stock pipe back on That's freakin hillarious. She really put it back on, or made dad do it? Anyways, just wrapped mine up, it wasn't that bad. Took me just over an hour. The bolts were really not that hard to break loose, but then again, I do weigh 260 and bench almost 400. But when putting back on I did notice that I think I got the dreaded leak around the top where it connects to the cbe. I put some joint sealer on it and will see if that takes care of it.
 Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

My dad wasn't home and we weren't expecting him home until today. My grandpa helped and thought the Turboxs wouldn't fit so they put the stock one on while I was at work. I had to work 12-9 so I couldn't help.
 Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #14

trdsw has much to be proud oftrdsw has much to be proud oftrdsw has much to be proud oftrdsw has much to be proud oftrdsw has much to be proud oftrdsw has much to be proud oftrdsw has much to be proud oftrdsw has much to be proud oftrdsw has much to be proud oftrdsw has much to be proud of
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

wow I just thought of a few your momma jokes that wouldn't be that funny. Like "Your momma... nvm
trdsw is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #15

shpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the worldshpankey is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When I did my Test Pipe, it was missing the pieces on it that go into the rubber grauments on the sides bolted to the frame. Since it was missing it, I have noticed vibration in the car that was not there before.
shpankey is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
KR....i haz it

Blackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,055 Posts
Groans: 166
Groaned at 56 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

your test pipe does not have hangers. some do, some dont. the vibration is not from a lack of hangers, its from the lack of flexing in the exhaust now that you dont have spring bolts.

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
While the other forum is GREAT for technical/mechanical information and how to, that place is filled with single-minded (if you aren't driving fast, you're doing it wrong), arrogant, and professional douchebags.
Blackspeed is offline   Reply With Quote