Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazdaspeed Forums (http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/forum/)
-   Custom Performance Engineering (cp-e.com) (http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/forum/f330/)
-   -   CP-E motor mounts should you buy? (http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/forum/f330/cp-e-motor-mounts-should-you-buy-201287/)

HOCKEYNUBE 04-26-2016 08:25 AM

CP-E motor mounts should you buy?

So I'm going to swing a little bit from CP-E's nuts here but I want to get this out there.

A long long long time ago when I was "fully bolted" and "stage bro" I heard CP-E made good products but I couldn't see myself spending 6-700 bucks on motor mounts while other companies such as JBR and CS had more affordable mounts.

I purchased the JBR trilogy set up and at the time I knew it vibrated a lot but I was okay with it for the most part.

Fast forward to building the motor and installing a 5862, and a very important detail this was around the time JBRs crap started to surface about mount failures. So I got rid of those mounts as fast as I could.

Bought a CP-E stage 2 RMM, CS PMM, and a CP-E TMM. Again it vibrated a lot but it wasn't so bad (keep in mind I have no balance shaft at this point) (also keep in mind I didn't drive the built motor on JBR mounts) I loved the set up the way it was for the most part, wasn't unbearable to drive with the vibrations BUT something with having the CS PMM and the CP-E TMM my motor sat at like a 5* angle, nothing crazy but it was noticeable enough that people could point it out and ask why my motor is on an angle.

So another fast forward to pulling the motor, cleaning the bay and putting on a 6266. At this point I had gotten rid of my CS PMM and bought a CP-E PMM. (so now I am aware of the vibs of other mounts without a BS)

I will say that "the settling period" of all three CP-E mounts was quite rough longer than having different mounts but after this period of time the vibs became less and less noticeable even with a BSD. Was in love with them!

Now for the reason you read all this, I got into my buddies car down a the dragon during ENM and he had some of the above mentioned mounts but he did have a CP-E gen 1 mount in the rear. But holy mother of god I don't know how he can drive this car on a daily basis, its almost painful (he is BT and has a build motor with a BSD, almost the same exact build as me, hell its my old turbo haha)

So moral of the story is CP-E motor mounts are way over engineered to work with the movement of the motor while other companies mounts actually try to fight it creating a very uncomfortable drive.

If you look at other mounts VS the CP-E mounts you will see what I mean, the poly is in the perfect spots on their mounts. So they can use a little lighter duro on their bushings but since they are well placed they are more effective than other companies hard ass poly bushings.

YOU PAY FOR GOOD ENGINEERING! bottom line you wont regret the extra money they charge.

g00s3y 04-26-2016 10:56 AM

This will probably get deleted since it's in CP-e section, but it's obvious you haven't tried the Damond Motorsports mounts, they are better in every way.

I was fully mounted with CP-e (S2 RMM and 60a TMM/PMM), have no complaints, they worked great. But less nvh, vibration, shaking, noise, and a better feeling all around ride with the DM mounts.

HOCKEYNUBE 04-26-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g00s3y (Post 3048364)
This will probably get deleted since it's in CP-e section, but it's obvious you haven't tried the Damond Motorsports mounts, they are better in every way.

I was fully mounted with CP-e (S2 RMM and 60a TMM/PMM), have no complaints, they worked great. But less nvh, vibration, shaking, noise, and a better feeling all around ride with the DM mounts.

never heard anything bad about damond and if he had all his mounts out when I dumped the jbr mounts I may have bought his but I defiantly feel safe at 600 HP on these mounts and that all that matters to me

MD1032 04-27-2016 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g00s3y (Post 3048364)

Pretty much. Just speaking for their rear mount, I've talked to several other owners who switched from the CP-E Stage 2 rear to the Damond rear and all of them said the same thing which matched my experience - the Damond eliminated this weird "rebound" type thing the CP-E mount has between shifts - which can occasionally cause you to grind/miss a gear. I've never missed a 2-3 flat-foot shift with the Damond rear.

HOCKEYNUBE 04-27-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 (Post 3048559)
Pretty much. Just speaking for their rear mount, I've talked to several other owners who switched from the CP-E Stage 2 rear to the Damond rear and all of them said the same thing which matched my experience - the Damond eliminated this weird "rebound" type thing the CP-E mount has between shifts - which can occasionally cause you to grind/miss a gear. I've never missed a 2-3 flat-foot shift with the Damond rear.

That is good to know, ive never missed a 2-3 FFS but if I start I will be buying a damond RMM. yall need that driver mod haha ;)

EDIT: Not to mention I am FFSing at 8000 RPM, sometimes more if I want to drag the gear out more

MD1032 04-27-2016 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOCKEYNUBE (Post 3048572)
That is good to know, ive never missed a 2-3 FFS but if I start I will be buying a damond RMM. yall need that driver mod haha ;)

EDIT: Not to mention I am FFSing at 8000 RPM, sometimes more if I want to drag the gear out more

Very interesting. Hey @JgamB; yall need that driver mod.

WetzMS3 04-27-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOCKEYNUBE (Post 3048572)

Damn. Who built that motor? What's in your head?

HOCKEYNUBE 04-27-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetzMS3 (Post 3048603)
Damn. Who built that motor? What's in your head?

I built my own motor, and the head is ported by a local that had it on his car. have super tech springs and stock cams, 8k isn't pushing anything really, especially when you cant tune past 7k anyways..... fucking cobb

SpeedRebirth 04-27-2016 01:55 PM

I've asked for proof several times from the fb-jbr-haters but have still seen nothing about failing jbr mounts other than a few bushing failures (uncommon). Most just ride the bandwagon without personal experience. Maybe I missed a thread on here if there is any but I would really like to see some actual pictures of catastrophic failures

Cpe has quite a few failures themselves but that's mostly bushing related.

To be a little more safe I plan on installing the White widow FMM

Djohns 04-27-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedRebirth (Post 3048781)
I've asked for proof several times from the fb-jbr-haters but have still seen nothing about failing jbr mounts other than a few bushing failures (uncommon). Most just ride the bandwagon without personal experience. Maybe I missed a thread on here if there is any but I would really like to see some actual pictures of catastrophic failures

Cpe has quite a few failures themselves but that's mostly bushing related.

To be a little more safe I plan on installing the White widow FMM

@Tokay444; would you be so kind sir and give this man an example? I know you have a couple.

JgamB 04-27-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 (Post 3048573)
Very interesting. Hey @JgamB; yall need that driver mod.

To be fair, that was RMM only comparisons with stock side mounts. It put a major emphasis on the EPDM rubber bushing, where I thought it was an abject failure.