register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums > Mazdaspeed Forums Sponsors > Custom Performance Engineering (cp-e.com)
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Custom Performance Engineering (cp-e.com) cp-e™ has been a front runner in pushing the L3-VDT engine since its inception; offering a solution for all your needs. Our motto is serious performance from serious engineering. Everything we do is a sentiment to this motto; from rigorous R&D, designing everything in a 3D software environment, to providing you with a Made in the U.S.A product paired with a lifetime warranty. cp-e™ tries to give you the best product available on the market through constantly engineering new products and re-engineering old products. We continue to push the L3-VDT, and are proud to say that 52% of our whole product line-up is for Mazda vehicles! When you are serious about performance, contact the company that is serious about engineering! www.cp-e.com

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Closed Thread

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #1

Erich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the world
Thanked 91,339 Times in 2,955 Posts
Groans: 19
Groaned at 28 Times in 24 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Second bung on CP-e downpipe

On the cast mouth downpipes, is the second bung (or should I say the first bung, the one that is originally cast) usable with the stock exhaust manifold? Doesn't seem like there is enough clearance to put a sensor in there.
 Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Approved MSF Vendor

www.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,675 Times in 997 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 115 Times in 51 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Erich View Post
On the cast mouth downpipes, is the second bung (or should I say the first bung, the one that is originally cast) usable with the stock exhaust manifold? Doesn't seem like there is enough clearance to put a sensor in there.

You've got it right. The cast bung is a provision for a thermocouple if you want to monitor exhaust gas temperatures. You can buy oxygen sensor to EGT probe adapters that you can use with that threaded hole.
 Old 07-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #3

Erich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the worldErich is the leader of the world
Thanked 91,339 Times in 2,955 Posts
Groans: 19
Groaned at 28 Times in 24 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by www.cp-e.com View Post
You've got it right. The cast bung is a provision for a thermocouple if you want to monitor exhaust gas temperatures. You can buy oxygen sensor to EGT probe adapters that you can use with that threaded hole.
So a thermocouple for EGT will fit under the stock manifold? Do I need to be concerned with what gauge I am buying or should the thermocouple that comes with pretty much any EGT gauge fit?
 Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Approved MSF Vendor

www.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Erich View Post
So a thermocouple for EGT will fit under the stock manifold? Do I need to be concerned with what gauge I am buying or should the thermocouple that comes with pretty much any EGT gauge fit?
The thermocouple is actually just a thin piece of steel (I forget what alloy the K-type thermocouples are) so it's actually very easy to install in terms of space useage. I *believe* all EGT gauges use type K thermocouples, so it shouldn't make any difference really.
 Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,291 Times in 592 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

wait i'm confused. so they both accommodate O2 sensors - if you want to run EGT you need an adapter?

a lot of people say you should run a heatsink if you're putting in a new wideband - has it been necessary in your experience?
 Old 07-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Approved MSF Vendor

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by xcoldricex View Post
wait i'm confused. so they both accommodate O2 sensors - if you want to run EGT you need an adapter?
Actually only the wideband bung that we weld on the pipe can accommodate a wideband. If you want to run a secondary wideband (i.e. not the factory wideband) then we can add an extra bung for a small fee. The bung that is cast and threaded for a wideband cannot accommodate a wideband because it hits the manifold. You can however buy an adapter that will thread into that oxygen sensor provision so you may install an EGT probe.

a lot of people say you should run a heatsink if you're putting in a new wideband - has it been necessary in your experience?
We've heard that before too. I think the Bosch sensors are rated for 1400°F, but I don't think they specify for what period of time. Also, any sensors accuracy is going to be highly dependent upon the heater controller attached to the sensor, and I'm not sure if a heat sink would disrupt that feedback loop.

Translation: I'm of no help

Honestly, I'd just run the sensor and see if it eventually fails. If it does they're not a lot of money so they're (relatively) cheap to replace. But if you were really clever, you'd call Bosch (NGK, or whoever) and ask them directly. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
 Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by www.cp-e.com View Post
Actually only the wideband bung that we weld on the pipe can accommodate a wideband. If you want to run a secondary wideband (i.e. not the factory wideband) then we can add an extra bung for a small fee. The bung that is cast and threaded for a wideband cannot accommodate a wideband because it hits the manifold. You can however buy an adapter that will thread into that oxygen sensor provision so you may install an EGT probe.
eh? so what's the point of having the second O2 bung if you can't use it because it hits the manifold?!

just to make things clear - I want to run a Innovate LM-1 in the second bung in the cast bellmouth - is this not possible?
 Old 08-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #8

7mileshome is the leader of the world7mileshome is the leader of the world7mileshome is the leader of the world7mileshome is the leader of the world7mileshome is the leader of the world7mileshome is the leader of the world7mileshome is the leader of the world7mileshome is the leader of the world7mileshome is the leader of the world7mileshome is the leader of the world7mileshome is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

subbing
 Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,996 Times in 8,188 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

Threads on EGT TK's are different across many manf's. You could do the standard o2 sensor bung, than get an adapter for your own TK threads... Or, just tap it yourself.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
 Old 08-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
Banned

Laloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the worldLaloosh is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,726 Times in 896 Posts
Groans: 57
Groaned at 196 Times in 127 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

yea i just noticed this, it looks like a aftermaket wb MIGHT fit witht the pg manifold, but i was under the impression that it was there for a wideband lol
 Old 08-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,996 Times in 8,188 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

I think the PG's are tapped for an aftermarket WB opposed to a EGT. YOu can find the adapters online as long as you know what NPT your EGT is.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
 Old 08-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
ILL3ST

Not Ranked  0 score     

so where's the best place for a second wideband bung if that second one is unusable?

also where's the best place for the EGT? turbo housing? manifold? i didn't think the DP would be a good place...?
 Old 08-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #13

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,571 Times in 1,692 Posts
Groans: 60
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

so where's the best place for a second wideband bung if that second one is unusable?

also where's the best place for the EGT? turbo housing? manifold? i didn't think the DP would be a good place...?
Innovate reccommends installing the WB O2 at least 18" away from the turbo, but before any flexpipes or couplings that could skew the reading. I have mine installed at the bottom of the DP just past the stock 2nd O2 sensor.

The EGT should be in the runner coming from the leanest cylinder or in the collector of your manifold where it will get an average reading across all the cylinders..
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Old 08-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #14

kingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the worldkingpin748 is the leader of the world
Thanked 15,318 Times in 601 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 48 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

EGT - Turbo Manifold

AFR - Some people put them on the DP others put them on the MP.
 Old 08-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
ILL3ST

Not Ranked  0 score     

alright, i'll just go to an exhaust shop and have one welded in near the stock 2nd. then i won't have to worry about a heat shield either. awesome.
Closed Thread