register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - How-To's
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sergeant_M

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #1

Sergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Clutch "Adjustment" MS3 Gen2

I am sure I am not the first person to do this, nor have I discovered any form of engineering genius. I was simply tired of trying to guess where my clutch was going to engage. Hill starts, rev matching, traffic driving, etc; you want some feedback from the clutch.

I decided that since we can not change the actual clutch engagement point in the speed3's like the speed6's can, I might as well change the way the clutch feels when using it. Last night I got some "spacers" and basically placed them over where the stock clutch stop is. I will post a couple pictures, just to show you what I mean. The mod cost me ~$8 and took about 5-10 minutes (if that).

If you guys have questions, let me know. If you want to throw rocks at me, that's fine too. This is my first "How-to" on the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MS31.jpg (1.02 MB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg MS32.jpg (907.5 KB, 441 views)
SLOWHATCH likes this.
Sergeant_M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sergeant_M For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (03-22-2013), thomas_cory2000 (09-25-2013), vtdone (12-08-2014)
 Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #2

SLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the worldSLOWHATCH is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,013 Posts
Groans: 274
Groaned at 103 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So what exactly does it do?
SLOWHATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #3

Sergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the worldSergeant_M is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I guess I should have clarified... It makes clutch engagement travel shorter. Mine used to be about 2 inches, now more like .5 inches.

Last edited by Sergeant_M; 03-23-2013 at 12:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sergeant_M For This Useful Post:
MATT DAMOND (03-26-2013), SLOWHATCH (03-22-2013)
 Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #4

DIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 32 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That's weird, my clutch has always caught almost to the top

ksport coilovers//JBR rear sway bar//JBR rear motor mount//SURE aeros //V-limited STI lip//16mm spacers//extended studs//resonator delete//DDM 5k//Putco yellow fogs//SPC camber arms//COBB shift knob

On the way: AP//HPFP internals
DIZIdoes. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DIZIdoes. For This Useful Post:
MS3CB (07-10-2013)
 Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by DIZIdoes. View Post
That's weird, my clutch has always caught almost to the top
Do you prefer it that way?
 Old 03-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #6

Spec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,945 Times in 2,142 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 35 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are you sure the clutch is completely engaged with those spacers there. You may be putting a lot of wear on your clutch with too little of a stroke.
 Old 03-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Doesn't change the engagement side. It changes the amount of space before the clutch engages. If it was too much, I would likely hear grinding when going into gear, or have slight forward movement when in gear on flat ground while the clutch is engaged. The amount of free play in the clutch remains exactly the same.
 Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I borrowed a picture from the MS6 how-to section and modified it slightly to illustrate what I am trying to say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutchadjustmentdiagram.jpg (41.8 KB, 348 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sergeant_M For This Useful Post:
CGilas (08-09-2013), SLOWHATCH (03-23-2013)
 Old 03-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #9

Dralphy is the leader of the worldDralphy is the leader of the worldDralphy is the leader of the worldDralphy is the leader of the worldDralphy is the leader of the worldDralphy is the leader of the worldDralphy is the leader of the worldDralphy is the leader of the worldDralphy is the leader of the worldDralphy is the leader of the worldDralphy is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,485 Times in 533 Posts
Groans: 39
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This sounds like a good idea if you just can't get used to the clutch, however after a while I've pretty much figured out how to perfectly rev-match and go from hills. Until I get into my wrangler for a while and then go back to my MS3, then I'm just fucked again for a few shifts.
 Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #10

DIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the worldDIZIdoes. is the leader of the world
Groaned at 32 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Sergeant_M View Post
Do you prefer it that way?
At first I hated it, it was way different then my rsx I had before. Now I'm used to it and do prefer it.. It helps when I'm about to engage the clutch from a stop and let's say a car comes around a blind corner, I have a split second longer to react and mash the clutch back down before it catches. Sounds weird but I've had to do that quite a few times in different situations.

ksport coilovers//JBR rear sway bar//JBR rear motor mount//SURE aeros //V-limited STI lip//16mm spacers//extended studs//resonator delete//DDM 5k//Putco yellow fogs//SPC camber arms//COBB shift knob

On the way: AP//HPFP internals
DIZIdoes. is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #11

Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeApollo has a reputation beyond reputeApollo has a reputation beyond reputeApollo has a reputation beyond reputeApollo has a reputation beyond reputeApollo has a reputation beyond reputeApollo has a reputation beyond reputeApollo has a reputation beyond reputeApollo has a reputation beyond reputeApollo has a reputation beyond reputeApollo has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

it just takes a lil patience and time! since i drive a kenworth for work getting into the speed is always a new world every day !
 Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #12

Spec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Doesn't change the engagement side. It changes the amount of space before the clutch engages. If it was too much, I would likely hear grinding when going into gear, or have slight forward movement when in gear on flat ground while the clutch is engaged. The amount of free play in the clutch remains exactly the same.
Doesn't the stroke adjust automatically as the disc wears though considering there isn't adjustments you can manually change.
 Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #13

thomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

Love the idea and I'm all for it, but I dont see how it wouldnt mess with the clutch engagment. Your shortening the time it takes to pres the clutch, so no matter what you do, wouldnt that risk potentially "riding" the clutch?
The Money Pit: 2011 MS3 - Mica Black - Tech Package - Cobb SRI, TIH, AP, Hella horns, CP-E Stage II RMM, JBR OCC, SSB, ATP Catless DP, UR catback exhaust, Autotech HPFP Internals, Turbo Smart Kompact bpv, Sure Shortcut, DIY clutch travel mod, DMM tuning HID 4300K fogs, & Freek tuned!

zoom zoom bitches...
thomas_cory2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by thomas_cory2000 View Post
Love the idea and I'm all for it, but I dont see how it wouldnt mess with the clutch engagment. Your shortening the time it takes to pres the clutch, so no matter what you do, wouldnt that risk potentially "riding" the clutch?
If by "riding" the clutch, you mean that the clutch would not be fully engaged, then no. The point of adjustment that may cause an issue is if you don't allow the pedal to depress enough to not fully disengage the clutch. The "free play" or amount of slack before the clutch begins to disengage remains the same. After this modification I have actually found that I don't get the crunchy feeling going into second anymore. If you were to put too many spacers, then you would likely not be able to get into gear, or would hear grinding during shift changes. Effectively you are bringing the floor closer to you, instead of adjusting the clutch pedal downwards.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sergeant_M For This Useful Post:
MATT DAMOND (03-26-2013), SLOWHATCH (03-26-2013), thomas_cory2000 (03-26-2013)
 Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #15

boostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,516 Times in 448 Posts
Groans: 28
Groaned at 50 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i really dont mind the way stock clutch feels. I think its fine.
Bnr s3/Act 6 puck/sure full 3inch intake/cobb fmic/cobb downpipe/grimmspeed ebc/3 bar map/hks catback/autotech hpfp internals/turbosmart bpv/bc coilovers/jbr trilogy mounts/ngk one step colder plugs/ms6 rims on nt-01 tires. 24 psi E85 freektuned.

Freektuned e85 Focus st as the daily.
boostdmazda3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by boostdmazda3 View Post
i really dont mind the way stock clutch feels. I think its fine.
I am sure that different clutches feel differently, even if they are all the same parts. I am going to assume that many people don't need to change their clutch at all. Mine had ~2 inches from the floor before the clutch started to engage, which was too much guess work for me to be comfortable with it. After throwing those spacers in there, I found that the clutch gives better feedback and the car is overall more enjoyable to drive. YMMV
The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant_M For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (07-25-2013)
 Old 03-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #17

boostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the worldboostdmazda3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,516 Times in 448 Posts
Groans: 28
Groaned at 50 Times in 21 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

to each there own its your car do work son. I like having a little travel room personally.
Bnr s3/Act 6 puck/sure full 3inch intake/cobb fmic/cobb downpipe/grimmspeed ebc/3 bar map/hks catback/autotech hpfp internals/turbosmart bpv/bc coilovers/jbr trilogy mounts/ngk one step colder plugs/ms6 rims on nt-01 tires. 24 psi E85 freektuned.

Freektuned e85 Focus st as the daily.
boostdmazda3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #18

thomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the worldthomas_cory2000 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

OP where did u buy those sliders at, everywhere i look they are way bigger.
The Money Pit: 2011 MS3 - Mica Black - Tech Package - Cobb SRI, TIH, AP, Hella horns, CP-E Stage II RMM, JBR OCC, SSB, ATP Catless DP, UR catback exhaust, Autotech HPFP Internals, Turbo Smart Kompact bpv, Sure Shortcut, DIY clutch travel mod, DMM tuning HID 4300K fogs, & Freek tuned!

zoom zoom bitches...
thomas_cory2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thomas_cory2000 For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (03-26-2013)
 Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got them at CVS. If you have problems finding some, I can probably just mail some to you.

I also found this:
Amazon.com: Magic Sliders Adhesive Floor Slide 1": Home ImprovementAmazon.com: Magic Sliders Adhesive Floor Slide 1": Home Improvement

Last edited by Sergeant_M; 03-26-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
SLOWHATCH (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #20

Voltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,547 Times in 2,155 Posts
Groaned at 38 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

... or have slight forward movement when in gear on flat ground while the clutch is engaged.
Dead thread revival, but i have this exact issue! Basically when racing i suffer from high RPM lock out, i cant hit gears over 6500 rpms (on the dash, so like 6200 rpms actually -_- fucking useless on BT) and am forced to granny shift, any sort of "spirited shifting" will result in missed gears. Also, when sitting at a stop and putting it into first, the car will lurch forward a tad. In my mind it needed to be bled more, or the slave cylinder was failing, idk, it just all lead me to believe the clutch wasn't fully disengaging but i have no idea how to go about fixing, or even diagnosing this.
-Mustang 5.0 450 whp / 352 wtq
-Sold-

Current:
2012 Loaded Speed3 - Stock
2001 Miata - Basically stock

... Something, somewhere, went horribly wrong.

Fastest gtx3576 powered, 6th port injected, 25% e85 fueled, stock suspension, silver mazdaspeed 3 in South Houston. Because its my internet record, and I said so.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voltwings For This Useful Post:
Toymachinespeed (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

You should check to see if you have a small leak somewhere. Find a spot of flat land, stop and put the car into first gear. Keep the clutch pushed in for about a minute. If the car starts rolling, then the clutch is not fully disengaged. If that is the case, then you need to take the car in, especially if you are still under warranty.
himurax13 (07-25-2013)
 Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #22

Voltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the worldVoltwings is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

. Keep the clutch pushed in for about a minute. If the car starts rolling, then the clutch is not fully disengaged. If that is the case, then you need to take the car in, especially if you are still under warranty.
Didn't even bother to read my SIG did you Lol. Just out of habit I sit in first gear at red lights so I can just be ready to go when it changes, and the car stays still, its just that initial rock or lurch when I initially put it in first.
-Sold-

Current:

Fastest gtx3576 powered, 6th port injected, 25% e85 fueled, stock suspension, silver mazdaspeed 3 in South Houston. Because its my internet record, and I said so.
 Old 07-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #23

ms3_150 is a jewel in the roughms3_150 is a jewel in the roughms3_150 is a jewel in the roughms3_150 is a jewel in the rough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think your car might still be under warranty.

Tuned By Taylor 50/50 E85
ms3_150 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #24

himurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,868 Posts
Groans: 255
Groaned at 28 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ms3_150 View Post
I think your car might still be under warranty.
Hmm, somehow I doubt he will be able to get warranty work done on his clutch.

Sent via blown passenger side speakers.

Pickles Tune in progress

himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

Warranty on clutch manufacturer's defect , about all he has going for him as far as a warranty is concerned if there is one.

My car and @ms3_goon; 's car both do this. My car has done it since day one. It's not a hard lurch forward but it bumps the car a little when 1st gear is selected when clutch is engaged. My car is currently @ 15k miles and has always done this.

Volt, did you get the clutch fork replaced?
 Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #26

himurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the worldhimurax13 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Warranty on clutch manufacturer's defect , about all he has going for him as far as a warranty is concerned if there is one.

My car and @ms3_goon; 's car both do this. My car has done it since day one. It's not a hard lurch forward but it bumps the car a little when 1st gear is selected when clutch is engaged. My car is currently @ 15k miles and has always done this.

Volt, did you get the clutch fork replaced?
True but the BT and the supporting mods in the engine bay may cause problems with the warranty claim.

Pickles Tune in progress

Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

I think you misunderstood. The warranty I speak of would be from the manufacturer "spec" for a defect. I think the only factory warranty volt may have from Mazda might be suspension and the radio lol.
 Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I think you misunderstood. The warranty I speak of would be from the manufacturer "spec" for a defect. I think the only factory warranty volt may have from Mazda might be suspension and the radio lol.
I see. Hmm, interesting.

Pickles Tune in progress

Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

Lol ms3_150 is my workout buddy, he's fucking around. No I did not replace the clutch fork, but this issue started literally as soon as this clutch went in, that's why I think its a bleeding issue, I doubt a slave cylinder or fork would fail just instantly.
-Sold-

Current:

Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

It's not that the forks failing so to speak, it could just be bent from daily use and abuse. Not allowing proper engagement and disengagement and over all adjustment since Mazda saw it fit not to allow for clutch pedal adjustment and stroke.
 Old 07-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #31

Mazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond reputeMazdaspeed3KHP has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

At least you don't have really long legs, wish my seat went back 1 more click, every time I shift from 1st to 2nd it's sloppy because my legs are too long to let the pedal out smoothly.

You can tell too because my clutch pedal and break pedal have wear on the outer bottom left and right edges.

Someone invent and seat mod to allow the seat to go back more please!
Mazdaspeed3KHP is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #32

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Might be easier to do a shorter legs mod. Stop drinking milk and wait about 50 years.