register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - How-To's
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Prodigalson

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #1

Prodigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default How to refinish your steering wheel for only $35

Items needed (I purchased the Fiebings products and the wool daubers on Amazon. Total cost was approximately $35);
-Fiebings Deglazer
-Fiebings black dye
-Fiebings Resolene
-Soft cotton cloths
-Disposable gloves
-Foam brush
-Wool daubers

*BE SURE TO USE GLOVES FOR EVERY STEP! If you get dye on your skin you'll be staring at it for days!Also, do this in an area where you don’t mind getting dye on stuff. This dye will stain anything! Even stainless steel!

**You will no longer have red stitching if you do this** You might try to avoid dyeing the stitch areas, but I am very doubtful as to the likelihood of success with this approach.

Remove the steering wheel. I used the Corksport instructions provided for their replacement steering wheel. Follow their procedure until you have everything removed from the steering wheel.

Deglazer is used to remove the factory sealant coating. If the factory sealant coating is not removed, the dye will not be fully absorbed by the leather, resulting in an uneven finish. Put on a pair of rubber gloves before you begin. Using a terry cloth rag, pour enough deglazer on it to soak the rag, then rub/scrub the steering wheel with it. Remoisten the rag periodically as it evaporates quickly. Be sure not to neglect any areas.

As soon as the deglazer step is completed, begin applying dye. The daubers hold a lot of liquid, so be careful to squeeze off excess by pulling it across the edge of the container. Coat all surfaces of the steering wheel.

Allow to dry overnight, then inspect to ensure all areas are sufficiently dyed. If not, add more as needed and allow to dry overnight.

Once satisfied with the dyeing, and after you have waited overnight for the last dye coat to cure/dry, use a soft cotton cloth (I used an old, clean T-Shirt), and buff the leather. If the steering wheel is sticky, use some deglazer on a fresh terry cloth towel to remove excess dye.

Once steering wheel is buffed to a nice gloss and dry from any deglazer you may have used, take the foam brush, dip it in water, then squeeze it in a clean rag to remove excess water (foam should be damp). Dip into the Resolene, brush off excess and begin applying to steering wheel. Once the wheel has been completely coated, continue to brush with foam brush until the Resolene has been absorbed. You should see a very nice gloss at this point. Set aside overnight. On mine, I noticed that the upper part of the steering wheel where the finish originally was the worst needed a second layer. Wait another night for the acrylic coating to fully cure, then reassemble and reinstall steering wheel. You'll be pleased with the results.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0801.JPG (2.16 MB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0781.JPG (2.12 MB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0783.JPG (1.69 MB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0807.JPG (1.69 MB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0812.JPG (2.06 MB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0821.JPG (2.04 MB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0822.JPG (1.88 MB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0823.JPG (1.93 MB, 251 views)
pwdunmore likes this.
2012 MS3 Crystal White, Tech; Upgraded HPFP, Damond SSP, RMM, PMM, TMM CS RSB, shift knob, mud flaps, hood scoop, TMIC, JBR shifter bushings, leather shift boot w/red stitching, Stoptech lines, Bayson-R front lip.
Not yet installed: JBR EGR delete, catless DP
2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition
Low & Mean CRS, Hepco & Becker crash bars, Marauder headlight w/3800 lumen LED bulb, MBW LED front signal rings, Chrome Glow LED rear signals, 420 lumen LED 1157 taillight bulb, Danny Gray Raven solo seat, Muzzy 2-to-1 exhaust, black front calipers w/red lettering, Thunder Tornado intake, 200/55 rear tire, Progressive front springs w/Racetech Gold valves, Progressive 444 rear shocks (12.5"), Bad Ace rear caliper relocation bracket, Bad Ace Cam Chain Tensioner Extenders, Bad Ace Fork Cap Covers, Bad Ace Fuel Enrichment Knob Relocation Bracket, Avon black anodized air grips w/throttle boss, sidemounted license plate

Last edited by Prodigalson; 01-05-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Prodigalson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Hush (01-08-2017), JSmith (01-04-2017), nekret (01-04-2017), roguemazda (01-04-2017), sharksinspace (01-04-2017), WetzMS3 (01-04-2017)
 Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #2

sharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the world
Groans: 126
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Shiny! How much did these products run you, all told? I absolutey love the CS wheel in my juan, but I'm sure there are many people who would much prefer a cheaper refinishing option over dropping, like, $350 on a full upgrade.
 Old 01-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #3

Prodigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud ofProdigalson has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Added the cost of the supplies. Thanks for the feedback. Anyone know how resize the pictures?
2012 MS3 Crystal White, Tech; Upgraded HPFP, Damond SSP, RMM, PMM, TMM CS RSB, shift knob, mud flaps, hood scoop, TMIC, JBR shifter bushings, leather shift boot w/red stitching, Stoptech lines, Bayson-R front lip.
Not yet installed: JBR EGR delete, catless DP
2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition
Low & Mean CRS, Hepco & Becker crash bars, Marauder headlight w/3800 lumen LED bulb, MBW LED front signal rings, Chrome Glow LED rear signals, 420 lumen LED 1157 taillight bulb, Danny Gray Raven solo seat, Muzzy 2-to-1 exhaust, black front calipers w/red lettering, Thunder Tornado intake, 200/55 rear tire, Progressive front springs w/Racetech Gold valves, Progressive 444 rear shocks (12.5"), Bad Ace rear caliper relocation bracket, Bad Ace Cam Chain Tensioner Extenders, Bad Ace Fork Cap Covers, Bad Ace Fuel Enrichment Knob Relocation Bracket, Avon black anodized air grips w/throttle boss, sidemounted license plate

Last edited by Prodigalson; 01-05-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Prodigalson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
sharksinspace (01-04-2017)
 Old 01-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #4

pwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

I was about to do this myself, thanks for the walk through lol... I guess I wasn't the only one thinking about redying the leather instead of dropping money on a new wheel.

Great minds think alike! Thanks @Prodigalson;

http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/forum/f542/pwdunmore-s-2012-a-150456/
pwdunmore is offline   Reply With Quote