register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums > Mazdaspeed Forums Sponsors > JAMES BARONE RACING
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

JAMES BARONE RACING JBR is a leading manufacturer of high-quality aftermarket parts for the Mazda community. We take pride in our reputation for providing the highest-quality performance products at the best values, and we back up that reputation with outstanding customer service and free shipping. We are committed to the Mazda platform and we actively partner with other members of the community in our selection, design, and testing of new products to make sure they meet their needs. We control every step in the engineering and fabrication process to ensure the highest standards of workmanship. The result is a line of products whose performance and reliability have been proven both on the street and on the track. Visit us at jamesbaroneracing.com

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #1

Mythyk is a name known to allMythyk is a name known to allMythyk is a name known to allMythyk is a name known to allMythyk is a name known to allMythyk is a name known to all
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Another happy customer! Shift plate, bushings, and heavy knob

Sorry if this goes a bit long, I'm a tad tired but wanted to post this!

Big thanks to JBR, very happy with my first purchase! Was great about e-mailing me back because I had a ton of questions, especially about ordering stuff up here to Canada. Said it would take about 10-14 days, think I ordered on the 11th and showed up on 23rd. Opened the box, everything looked amazing!

Finally got to install, went well (although me being new to car mods I took my time). I had my car rifled through a couple months back, they took the stock shift knob among other things. I had a $25 replacement until I could save up enough to get the JBR SSP/bushings/knob combo, well worth the wait! The only thing I got a bit confused about were the rubber grommets on the shifter cage. Instructions didn't mention the metal pieces inserted into them that had to be removed before peeling off the grommets, not a big deal though.

Got the black spherical knob with the O-rings, looks great (if a little big), but the feel in hand is phenomenal. Heavy just holding it, but once installed you don't notice as much except for how well gears slide in. Shift plate makes things ridiculously short, I put it to the shortest possible, and love it! Gonna take a bit of getting used to, but felt natural still. Did a little fine tuning, and shifts quite easily now. The bushings also help immensely, the entire experience while shifting feels like it should have when stock!

The one area I ran into trouble was with the air box upon reinstall. I still have the stock air box (will remedy that when I can....) and used the stock rubber grommets from the shifter cage on the bottom pegs of the air box like the instructions said. Put things together and started the car, check engine light was on. The top and bottom fit together, but it looks like there's a big space where the rectangular foam piece is on the front of the air box. It's hard to describe, I don't know cars that well, will try to post a picture when I can.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Not sure if I just need to readjust the air box, or push the grommets down into the holes a bit more? Will it be a problem to drive the car with the space/CEL on? I'm a bit ignorant in these things, so help/advice/input would be appreciated.

All in all, very satisfied with JBR in terms of the products, instructions, and service. Can't wait until I can get a Rear Motor Mount as well!

P.S. in case I get told to donate: I have donated before, was a few years back, just got onto forums again. I'm only working as a casual, money is a bit tight, but will donate when I can. Love the information and community on this site!
Mythyk is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #2

Mythyk is a name known to allMythyk is a name known to allMythyk is a name known to allMythyk is a name known to allMythyk is a name known to allMythyk is a name known to all
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just quick update: CEL came off, was probably just from unplugging the MAF or something.
Mythyk is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
JBR
Approved MSF Vendor

JBR is the leader of the worldJBR is the leader of the worldJBR is the leader of the worldJBR is the leader of the worldJBR is the leader of the worldJBR is the leader of the worldJBR is the leader of the worldJBR is the leader of the worldJBR is the leader of the worldJBR is the leader of the worldJBR is the leader of the world
Thanked 13,819 Times in 2,747 Posts
Groans: 28
Groaned at 79 Times in 53 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice write up thanks!!

The CEL was most likely caused by something silly especially since it when away so quick. Nothing with the airbox would cause a CEL.

Thanks,
Jamie

Mazda Performance Parts & Accessories // JamesBaroneRacing.com
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote