Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazdaspeed Forums (http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/forum/)
-   VersaTune (http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/forum/f573/)
-   -   Initial Base Tune (http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/forum/f573/initial-base-tune-205474/)

Fstrnyou 09-18-2016 10:05 AM

Initial Base Tune

Noob question. What tune is initially flashed? 91 base, 93 base, etc? I think I read somewhere that is matches the OE Mazda tune but I don't see a "stock tune" in the tunes list.

Ugnius@VersaTune 09-19-2016 03:18 AM

Initially a special tune is flashed that is identical to OEM in terms of performance, but can accept performance tunes and has launch control, no lift shifting and other special features available. That tune is not in the list, but you can recreate that tune if necessary by clicking "New Tune" and saving the Tune Editor without making any other changes.

Fstrnyou 09-19-2016 07:09 AM

The base tune is already part of the software. Why not just make it visible? I suppose I'm one of the few who want to learn the program before jumping right into an OTS map.

Enki 09-19-2016 10:55 AM

...Because it's not something anyone is going to stay on longer than they have to? I mean, nobody buys a tuning solution to stay on the stock map for any real length of time.

Fstrnyou 09-19-2016 12:04 PM

I don't entirely disagree with you. I do plan to self tune, and I also want to know where I'm starting from and compare it to an OTS tune to see what changed and read about what that change does and how it interacts with other tables, etc. I'm starting from zero instead of being a nice little sheep and jumping into an OTS map that I have no knowledge of how it differs from the previous tune. I'm not trying to take any credit away from the OTS tune developers as I'm sure they know what they're doing. I want to learn, for my own sake, what each thing does. Just clicking download and flash doesn't teach me anything.

Enki 09-19-2016 01:27 PM

I'll be redoing the TITS guide in VT, and I'll probably go over the stock vs OTS stuff.

Ugnius@VersaTune 09-20-2016 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you want to see what was changed in an OTS tune compared to stock, that can be very easily done with the tune editor. Click "From stock tune" in the "Show changes" panel at the top. All tables that have been changed will be marked in bold.

Attachment 228566

If you want to start from scratch, just click "New..." in the "My Tunes" area of the "Tunes" tab. The Tune Editor will open with all tables set to stock values. You can then start applying your changes, flashing periodically and checking the effects.

Fstrnyou 09-20-2016 05:05 AM

Ah, awesome. Thank you very much.

nindoja 09-20-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou (Post 3082644)
Ah, awesome. Thank you very much.

To expand on that, after you do that, you can select a cell/row/table and click the undo button (the circular arrow pointing counter-clockwise) to revert that value to whatever the stock map had.

That feature is also useful to compare changes you made between maps too.