register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums > Mazdaspeed Forums Approved Vendors >
Mazda Performance Parts & Modifications Vendor Area
> VersaTune
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

VersaTune VersaTuner tuning software by VersaTune. Available for Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, Mazdaspeed Axela, Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed Atenza. Includes ECU reflashing/remapping, online tune database, custom tune editing ability, virtual dashboard, data logging, diagnostics/DTC code management, Launch Control, No Lift Shift, and stutter-free Smooth Shifting.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #1

satisfied is a jewel in the roughsatisfied is a jewel in the roughsatisfied is a jewel in the roughsatisfied is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default From MAP base to MAF based...

So, I'm trying to learn VT. I have a few questions..

Fuel Pressure Target tables by gear...

In Tunerstudio, we use a relatively simple VE table, and adjust the number which corresponds to the LOAD and RPM at a given instance to RAISE or LOWER the AFR. This is intuitive and mechanical, and doesn't account for "targets" It just does it. For instance if I received a KNOCK at....

188kPa (13.2PSI boost pressure) around 4800 RPM I would find the cell which lists 188kPa and 4800 RPM and either examine the AFR in that instance and see if it was too much timing, or too little fuel, if too little fuel, bump up the VE cell and if it was too much timing, I would retard maybe .3 degrees in that instance. Then I would retest.

In Verstune, it does a calculation based off... gear, BAT, RPM, Load and then examines appropriate target tables and does what is necessary? So in theory, when a mod is completed I would only have to adjust my TARGETS because that is what I would ideally want to see and.... The ECU does the rest?

Are my Fuel Pressure Target tables essentially my Volumetric Efficiency table?

Is there a "getting started in VT/things to you should do to not blow up your engine" ? MS/TS/MLV has a massive following and there's almost nothing you can't search for in your specific model, category, goal. I'd like a rundown on tuning the 2.3MZR using VT if anyone has any resources.

Thanks in advance tur-bros
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,687 Times in 1,836 Posts
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by satisfied View Post

In Verstune, it does a calculation based off... gear, BAT, RPM, Load and then examines appropriate target tables and does what is necessary? So in theory, when a mod is completed I would only have to adjust my TARGETS because that is what I would ideally want to see and.... The ECU does the rest?

Are my Fuel Pressure Target tables essentially my Volumetric Efficiency table?

Is there a "getting started in VT/things to you should do to not blow up your engine" ? MS/TS/MLV has a massive following and there's almost nothing you can't search for in your specific model, category, goal. I'd like a rundown on tuning the 2.3MZR using VT if anyone has any resources.
You will always want to be between 1600-1900psi fuel pressure at WOT, anything lower than that and something is wrong.

The fuel pressure table is not a VE table, it's not like your typical port injected car. Fueling is adjusted by scaling the MAF tables (there's 2 and they should be the same). Do a pull and be sure to log the necessary parameters (act and des AFR, MAF lb/min, MAF volts). Look at your desired fueling and compare your actual/observed fueling to it. Is it off in certain areas? If so then you need to create a multiplier based on the observed and desired number to correct the observed to be your desired. You apply that multiplier to the observed mass airflow number that is observed at that time. See what voltage the old mass airflow number corresponds to and then use that new mass airflow number and put it into your MAF curve at that correct voltage point.

That's the simple way to do it. There are other ways that are faster and less of a hassle but I'd have a hard time explaining it without visual aids. The way I do it is to create a multiplier for every point logged and corrected airflow at each point, and make a scatter plot of voltage vs corrected airflow. Use a line of best fit on the graph and take the formula it gives you from the line and apply it to the voltage values in the tune to give you the proper mass airflow numbers for those corresponding voltages. It's a fairly quick process and allows you to dial in the whole WOT portion of the curve pretty easily. Usually only takes me 1-3 revisions to get the whole curve dialed in to be spot on targets.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT Crystal White Pearl #07141

Damond Motorsports = PS Cooler - RMM - PMM - OCC
VersaTuner = Versatune
Clutchmasters = 850 Street Twindisk
Corksport = RDM - CBE - RSB - TMM Insert
Turbine Tech = Forward Diff Mount - FMM
CP-e = Exhaust Manifold - Injector Seals
PTE = JB 5862
JMF = Intake Manifold w/Custom PI
Kozmic = Downpipe - 6th Port - EGR Delete
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings

Last edited by Mazdazilla6; 09-30-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazdazilla6 For This Useful Post:
satisfied (09-30-2016)
 Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

satisfied is a jewel in the roughsatisfied is a jewel in the roughsatisfied is a jewel in the roughsatisfied is a jewel in the rough
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fantastic explanation! Thank you!

So, I found the actual VE table, which I'm not supposed to adjust fueling by, but what are the MAF tables called in VT? The only tables which look like they're right on what needs to be adjusted after modifications are the "Fuel Pressure Target 1-6"

Last edited by MS3Shadow; 09-30-2016 at 02:23 PM.
 Old 09-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

Mazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the worldMazdazilla6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by satisfied View Post
Fantastic explanation! Thank you!

So, I found the actual VE table, which I'm not supposed to adjust fueling by, but what are the MAF tables called in VT? The only tables which look like they're right on what needs to be adjusted after modifications are the "Fuel Pressure Target 1-6"
The MAF tables should be labeled accordingly in the sensor calibration section.

The fuel pressure tables don't need to be messed with once they're set.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG
Autotech = HPFP Internals
HTP = 4" Intake - Battery Tray
Bilstein = B6 Shocks w/Eibach springs
Grimmspeed = EBCS
Technafit = SS Brake Lines - SS Clutch Line
Enkei = EVOX GSR 18x8.5 +38 - NT03+M 17x9.5 +38
Custom = FMIC w/TR1035 - Shifter Cables - Shifter Bushings
Mazdazilla6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mazdazilla6 View Post
The MAF tables should be labeled accordingly in the sensor calibration section.

The fuel pressure tables don't need to be messed with once they're set.

So it's seriously this easy? Telling the ECU what you want, and the ECU either says, "Yup gotcha." Or "OH FUCK I CAN'T DO THIS."
 Old 09-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #6

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea. For the most part. You're pretty much telling the computer when the MAF sensor has a certain amount of air flowing over it, causing it to output X voltage, that tells the computer that there is Y airflow. Assuming the sensor is calibrated properly, if the computer knows how much air is going in, then it knows how much fuel to spray in order to meet the desired AFR.

VersaTuner = Versatune
PTE = JB 5862
Forge = V2 BPV
Tial = 44mm WG