register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1/2 Parts Fabrication Forums (2006-2013)
> Mazdaspeed 3/6 Hardparts (2006-2013)
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Like Tree32Likes
Closed Thread

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

Turbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,902 Times in 525 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Designed my own short shift plates

To start this off, I will say that I have never really been happy with the shift feel / performance of my MS3. Of all the manual trans cars I have owned over the years the speed 3's gearbox has been my least favorite.

My major gripe is the inconsistency of the 2/3 shift.

I don't want to bash anybody's products on here but I was running a SSP with light counter weight that while the shift throw was shorter, for me the shift feel & performance was terrible.

So I decided to try my hand at making my own short shift plate.

This is the 3rd design I have made and tested out and I HONESTLY FUCKING LOVE THE WAY MY CAR SHIFTS FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I BOUGHT IT!

My design is simple.

Its a self weighted plate with adjustment slots for 15-30% reduction in throw.

Going to 40% requires raising the ball end and that creates other major issues by itself.

Also it has 2 added counter weight plates that are stackable. You can run just the SSP or the SSP with 1 & 2 counter weights.

So it's adjustable for shift throw & tuneable for weight.

Currently I am running it with 1 weight and I love it.

Shift feel is very positive and the trans engages every gear with a solid feel and no fighting to get into first at a stop like I had occasionally in the past.

And Now I can hit 3rd gear 100% of the time without issue.

Couple notes on the design.

The weighted design is offset in its position on the shift linkage. There is more weight directed towards the 1/2 3/4 5/6 shift.

The Plate does not extend any further than the oem shift counterweight in on the firewall side and is about 1" shorter than the oem weight on the radiator side.

Turbo_Steve's SHIFT HAMMER

BAT-man and zenit like this.
The Car - 08.5 True Red MS3 GT - MODS -Cp-e nano sri, HTP 3" tip, Autotech internals, Custom fmic 28x8x3.5 cx core, Cobb ap, Autolite XP5263, Turbo_Steve SHIFT HAMMER SSP, TRZ rear mount. Atp Downpipe and custom catted mid pipe. JBR TIG, tb gasket & egr delete, XS POWER V2 turbo manifold, Aem 30-3000 WMI Kit, Ported intake By Turbo_Steve. ADAPTED PERFORMANCE SHIFT HAMMER SSP - ADAPTED PERFORMANCE ENGINE COVERS

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Turbo_Steve For This Useful Post:
BAT-man (12-13-2016), cshunter (09-17-2015), daniely (09-12-2015), Dralphy (09-12-2015), dsb_chicago (12-09-2015), Enki (09-12-2015), Farhan@DM (09-14-2015), hartlch (09-13-2015), Hush (09-12-2015), JakeMS3 (09-12-2015), Mattyhawk1 (09-14-2015), Mauro_Penguin (09-12-2015), MS3Shadow (09-12-2015), Raider (09-14-2015), Thepedigree13 (09-13-2015), Vansquish (09-12-2015), WetzMS3 (09-14-2015), zenit (09-12-2015)
 Old 09-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

JakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice! do you pair this with a heavier knob or a lightweight knob?

Cobb AP V3, CBE
CS Turbo tuned by PD
Corksport Catted DP/HPFP Internals
JBR FMIC Pipe Kit w/TR8
CP-E TIP/3.5" Intake
DM OCC/TMM
Forge V2 BPV
Bilstein B8 w/Swift springs
Wilwood 6 pot BBK
EBC RedStuff rear pads
Konig Hypergram 18x8.5"
 Old 09-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #3

macdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice work turbo Steve
2010 speed w/tech//Freektune//Autotech hpfp//Cobb APv3-SRI-TIH--cold air box//Corksport--Axle back exhaust//adjustable shocks and springs//LED's//Damond RMM--PMM--TMM--OCC stage II--SSP with OEM weight//HKS SSQV recirc//Fomoco honey//JBR bsd and baffle--shift bushings--51R battery tray--STS--bypass hose--tig tb coolant bypass//M2 test pipe//NGK 6510 one step chilly//StopTech SS brake lines//ETS TMIC//Progress 32mm rear sway//UMBRA tint by Nino 35%//Hawk DTC-60 up front and HPplus pads in rear//Mazda5 oem+rear brake kit//TrackMasters hood struts//

Coming up: Corksport injector seals
The Following User Says Thank You to macdiesel For This Useful Post:
Turbo_Steve (09-12-2015)
 Old 09-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #4

Turbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the worldTurbo_Steve is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JakeMS3 View Post
Nice! do you pair this with a heavier knob or a lightweight knob?
Stock knob.
The Car - 08.5 True Red MS3 GT - MODS -Cp-e nano sri, HTP 3" tip, Autotech internals, Custom fmic 28x8x3.5 cx core, Cobb ap, Autolite XP5263, Turbo_Steve SHIFT HAMMER SSP, TRZ rear mount. Atp Downpipe and custom catted mid pipe. JBR TIG, tb gasket & egr delete, XS POWER V2 turbo manifold, Aem 30-3000 WMI Kit, Ported intake By Turbo_Steve. ADAPTED PERFORMANCE SHIFT HAMMER SSP - ADAPTED PERFORMANCE ENGINE COVERS

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
 Old 09-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #5

jamesr242 is the leader of the worldjamesr242 is the leader of the worldjamesr242 is the leader of the worldjamesr242 is the leader of the worldjamesr242 is the leader of the worldjamesr242 is the leader of the worldjamesr242 is the leader of the worldjamesr242 is the leader of the worldjamesr242 is the leader of the worldjamesr242 is the leader of the worldjamesr242 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I bet most of the improvement is from having a shorter stud where the cable attaches. I never understood why JBR and others put such a tall standoff on there. Seems like it would add a lot of off-axis force and slop in the shifter. I didn't care for the feel of the JBR plate and I think the standoff was why

2000 Miata LS, Flyin Miata Turbo'd (GT2560R), 3" TBE, Megasquirt EMS, 650cc injectors
 Old 09-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,086 Times in 732 Posts
Groans: 57
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

good work!

looks like 1/4" bandsaw cut steel?
 Old 09-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by zenit View Post
good work!

looks like 1/4" bandsaw cut steel?
3/16 cnc plasma table cut steel. I coated them with an iron oxide finish.

Originally Posted by jamesr242 View Post
I bet most of the improvement is from having a shorter stud where the cable attaches. I never understood why JBR and others put such a tall standoff on there. Seems like it would add a lot of off-axis force and slop in the shifter. I didn't care for the feel of the JBR plate and I think the standoff was why
I actually made a plate to test out without the offset . I used my stock weight and my jbr weight. It did not have as good a feel as this design.

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!

Last edited by Turbo_Steve; 09-12-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo_Steve For This Useful Post:
zenit (09-12-2015)
 Old 09-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #8

speedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Not Ranked  0 score     

You can do this with 1/4" aluminum plate. I did this about 2 years ago and it is still going strong. Couldn't see spending $40+ on one
2009 Nissan Frontier LE loaded...big stereo system (traded)
2009 Cadillac CTS sport package...stock (blown and traded piece of shit)
1994 Integra RS built all motor (sold)
1990 Civic EF nitrous turbo motor swapped beast (sold)
1987 Dodge pick up...jacked up (sold)
 Old 09-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #9

maisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,968 Times in 1,844 Posts
Groans: 75
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah I made my own a while back as well. Been on the car now for 4 years and its been great. Add a heavy knob and things get even better IMO
 Old 09-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #10

superman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Very nice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using tapatalkreplace
Power: Powered by Purple Drank, BNRS3, JBR 3.5, Grimspeed EBCS, 3-bar map, CP-e FMIC, Autotech HPFP, Forge V2 BPV, VTCS delete, DM OCC, Empire water pump pulley, BSD, JBR pan baffle, ebay downpipe, CP-e CBE, NGK step colder plugs, TIGs, CP-E Safe seals, DM EGR delete, etc. Handling: Eibach prokit, SPC camber arms, RX8 wheels, 235/40/18, Goodridge Stainless brake lines, EBC redstuff, mazda 5 rear brakes, Custom mid chasis brace, WR front strut brace, TB traction bar, TB trunk brace, JBR rear sway bar, Moog links, DM RMM, OEM poly filled PMM, CS TMM insert, JBR solid shifter bushings, AP shift hammer, Other: Android Stereo running torque pro, MZ style lip, Corksport LED lights, HIDs, lots of other random stuff
 Old 09-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #11

speedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the worldspeedfreak44 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Which knobs are heavier than OEM?
 Old 09-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #12

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,856 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is it possible to make some sort of gate so that the 6th gear is inaccessible? Sometimes at the track I want to downshift 5-4 and by mistake I go 5-6.

2017 Subaru BRZ
MCS TT1 coilovers|Brembo BBK|6UL 17x9|RE-71R|ACE 350|flex fuel|Delicious tuned
 Old 09-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #13

maisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,968 Times in 1,844 Posts
Groans: 75
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Is it possible to make some sort of gate so that the 6th gear is inaccessible? Sometimes at the track I want to downshift 5-4 and by mistake I go 5-6.
This should be possible. I looked at making a gate plate for fun a while back but other projects took priority

Sent from my SM-G900V using tapatalkreplace
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maisonvi For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (09-13-2015), Mauro_Penguin (09-14-2015)
 Old 09-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think something could easily be made to block out 6th gear, It could be made with some sort of on / off or quick release so you can lock it out at the track but then pull a pin or something so you can use 6th on the street.

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbo_Steve For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (09-13-2015), Mauro_Penguin (09-14-2015)
 Old 09-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #15
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,037 Times in 2,826 Posts
Groans: 1,911
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesr242 View Post
Without the "standoff" a number of different designs (notably SURE's) allowed the shifter cables to rub against one another and hard points in the engine bay. This resulted in the dust boot(s) tearing and damage to the cables.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (09-14-2015)
 Old 09-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Without the "standoff" a number of different designs (notably SURE's) allowed the shifter cables to rub against one another and hard points in the engine bay. This resulted in the dust boot(s) tearing and damage to the cables.

Yes, but that is only if you were to go for an extreme amount of shift throw reduction. Anything beyond 30% and you will start to see the issue of the boot rubbing. A poor bandaid fix to get to the 40% throw reduction is to use a standoff.

The standoff puts the cable on a sharp angle and it can cause cable bind. Also the angle of the cable on the forward / backwards linkage can cause the shift tower to want to drop / rise(what it does on side to side shifter throws) during forwards & backwards shifter throws.

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turbo_Steve For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (09-17-2015), Farhan@DM (09-14-2015), Mauro_Penguin (09-14-2015), Vansquish (09-13-2015)
 Old 09-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #17
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world

Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve View Post
Yes, but that is only if you were to go for an extreme amount of shift throw reduction. Anything beyond 30% and you will start to see the issue of the boot rubbing. A poor bandaid fix to get to the 40% throw reduction is to use a standoff.

The standoff puts the cable on a sharp angle and it can cause cable bind. Also the angle of the cable on the forward / backwards linkage can cause the shift tower to want to drop / rise(what it does on side to side shifter throws) during forwards & backwards shifter throws.
FWIW, my JBR unit has a standoff, and the throw reduction is right around 30%. I intentionally avoided other solutions because that was the only plate that addressed the rubbing issue at the time. I will also say that after having driven the car for nearly 80k with that shift plate installed, there has been little to no increase in slop over the stock configuration, there are no issues with any "sharp angle" stresses and certainly no binding. Shifts are also reasonably planar.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The farthest setting on a JBR ssp is 40%

Also I am not sure how the linkage is on a speed 6, but I presume it is different than on the 3

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
 Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #19

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,167 Times in 964 Posts
Groans: 438
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Yep, that's what was happening with the CS one I installed. Even with the adjustment, it would rub against the cables. Took it off because I don't need my cables getting damaged, and they wouldn't do anything about it since it was "already installed".

But I too have never liked the shifting feel of this car. I feel it improved greatly with the DM mounts, but the actual shift still leaves quite a bit to be desired.
chaser27 (09-14-2015), Mauro_Penguin (09-14-2015), Vansquish (09-14-2015)
 Old 09-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #20
Police - Grammarhead

The farthest setting on a JBR ssp is 40%

Also I am not sure how the linkage is on a speed 6, but I presume it is different than on the 3
The first generation JBR SSPs were not adjustable (they only had circular holes), and they only allowed for ~33%.

It's true that the two arrangements are very slightly different between the MS3/MS6, but the differences are primarily on the end of the shifter assembly in the cabin. On the transmission-end of things, where the plates attach, things are all but identical. This is why JBR started selling plates labeled, "JBR" instead of "Speed3" and "Speed6."

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
Mauro_Penguin (09-14-2015)
 Old 09-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #21

SparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,433 Times in 598 Posts
Groans: 8
Not Ranked  0 score     

I actually loved the way my Sure shift plate made the car shift but took it off cause the cables were too close for my liking. Would really like something close to that feel again without the worry of the cables rubbing.
South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Endurance | TWM Full Replacement Shifter | Synapse Engineering BPV | Autotech Internals | Grimmspeed EBCS - 3port | NGK 1 Step Colder Plugs | CNT Catless DP and CBE w/resonator deleted | COBB AP - E35 Tune | HTP 3.5" Intake w/ AMSOIL Dry Filter and Pre-Filter | HTP Battery Tray w/ Energizer 51R | CP-E TMIC | CorkSport DISI Silicone Boost Tubes | Damond Motorsports/Saikou Michi Co. Stage2 OCC | Damond Motorsports Short Shift Plate | Sure Countershift | BOSCH 3 Bar MAP w/MattJackson86 PnP Harness | JBR Rear Sway Bar | JBR EGR Block Off Kit | JBR Manifold - TIG | JBR Throttle Body TIG & Coolant Bypass | JBR 88a RMM | JBR 88a TMM | JBR 80a PMM |JBR DISI Bypass Valve Hose | Ported and Polished Intake Manifold DIY | RX8 Wheels w/ Nitto Motivo 235/40/18 Tires | CP-E Towplate | DIY Custom 600g Shift Knob | Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT | 30% / 15% Tint | Craven Speed Stubby Antenna | Broadway 400mm Rear View Mirror | Debadged Mazdaspeed 3

Waiting to be installed: Devil's Own Stage 2 DVC-30 Meth Injection | Damond Motorsports Meth Throttle Body Plate
On Order:
Coming Soon:
DIY Projects:

FYCN - TEAM LBN BEERS - FYCN-TEAM MUMFORD - FYCN
 Old 09-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #22

sh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the world
Groans: 45
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice man. Are you going to be selling any?
Cobb AP // Cobb EBCS // Cobb Downpipe // Cobb RMM // JBR Tru 3.5'' Intake // JBR TMM // JBR PMM // JBR RSB // CP-E Cat Back // NGK One step colder plugs // GT 3071r // Azenis 615k // Bilstein PSS B14 Coilovers // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Bully Stage 4 Clutch // Damon EGR Delete // Autotech HPFP // AEM V1 Meth Kit 50/50 // Freektuned 94 Oct
 Old 09-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sh4d0w View Post
Nice man. Are you going to be selling any?
I am working with a fabricator for this project. I designed it and he can keep making them. its something he would probably list up on his site for sale in the near future if people love them as much as I do. He has a few extra samples of this design that he cut that he is giving me to give out to a couple other people to test out. The way my car feels now is the best and most consistent shift feel / performance it has ever had.

It could be just me, or my car so I want to get some of these out in other peoples hands to test out.

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo_Steve For This Useful Post:
Dralphy (09-14-2015)
 Old 09-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #24

superman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond reputesuperman has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's a neat design. I want one.
Power: Powered by Purple Drank, BNRS3, JBR 3.5, Grimspeed EBCS, 3-bar map, CP-e FMIC, Autotech HPFP, Forge V2 BPV, VTCS delete, DM OCC, Empire water pump pulley, BSD, JBR pan baffle, ebay downpipe, CP-e CBE, NGK step colder plugs, TIGs, CP-E Safe seals, DM EGR delete, etc. Handling: Eibach prokit, SPC camber arms, RX8 wheels, 235/40/18, Goodridge Stainless brake lines, EBC redstuff, mazda 5 rear brakes, Custom mid chasis brace, WR front strut brace, TB traction bar, TB trunk brace, JBR rear sway bar, Moog links, DM RMM, OEM poly filled PMM, CS TMM insert, JBR solid shifter bushings, AP shift hammer, Other: Android Stereo running torque pro, MZ style lip, Corksport LED lights, HIDs, lots of other random stuff
 Old 09-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #25

sh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the worldsh4d0w is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am working with a fabricator for this project. I designed it and he can keep making them. its something he would probably list up on his site for sale in the near future if people love them as much as I do. He has a few extra samples of this design that he cut that he is giving me to give out to a couple other people to test out. The way my car feels now is the best and most consistent shift feel / performance it has ever had.

It could be just me, or my car so I want to get some of these out in other peoples hands to test out.
I would love to help test em out. Although to be honest I have no experience with other SSP's
But I am well modded and can really give an objective review. I'm willing to pay for shipping and whatever. I'm curious to see how your setup feels. Like i said I have nothing to compare to really but I really love your enthusiasm in your description of how much you like them.

in short LET ME TEST IT PLEASE!
Cobb AP // Cobb EBCS // Cobb Downpipe // Cobb RMM // JBR Tru 3.5'' Intake // JBR TMM // JBR PMM // JBR RSB // CP-E Cat Back // NGK One step colder plugs // GT 3071r // Azenis 615k // Bilstein PSS B14 Coilovers // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Bully Stage 4 Clutch // Damon EGR Delete // Autotech HPFP // AEM V1 Meth Kit 50/50 // Freektuned 94 Oct
 Old 09-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #26

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,982 Posts
Groans: 63
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'll test one if you're interested. Car is almost stock, this would be the only shifting mod besides a cobb knob. Don't even have a rmm in yet. Was planning to get a plate anyway, had a jbr on my juan and it needs replacing.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
 Old 09-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

lol just noticed... SHIFT HAMMER .. Love the name too man!
The Following User Says Thank You to sh4d0w For This Useful Post:
Turbo_Steve (09-16-2015)
 Old 09-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #28

Enki has disabled reputation
Thanked 19,288 Times in 4,841 Posts
Groans: 189
Groaned at 40 Times in 36 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think it would be better to rebuild the stock shifter as a 4 way adjustable unit, rather than running an SSP.
Mauro_Penguin (09-17-2015), Vansquish (09-17-2015)
 Old 09-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #29

SparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,433 Times in 598 Posts
Groans: 8
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would be willing to test one and compare it to Sure, MD as well as how it feels paired with a full replacement shifter. I am also fully mounted so it would be pure shift feel based on plate design.
South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Endurance | TWM Full Replacement Shifter | Synapse Engineering BPV | Autotech Internals | Grimmspeed EBCS - 3port | NGK 1 Step Colder Plugs | CNT Catless DP and CBE w/resonator deleted | COBB AP - E35 Tune | HTP 3.5" Intake w/ AMSOIL Dry Filter and Pre-Filter | HTP Battery Tray w/ Energizer 51R | CP-E TMIC | CorkSport DISI Silicone Boost Tubes | Damond Motorsports/Saikou Michi Co. Stage2 OCC | Damond Motorsports Short Shift Plate | Sure Countershift | BOSCH 3 Bar MAP w/MattJackson86 PnP Harness | JBR Rear Sway Bar | JBR EGR Block Off Kit | JBR Manifold - TIG | JBR Throttle Body TIG & Coolant Bypass | JBR 88a RMM | JBR 88a TMM | JBR 80a PMM |JBR DISI Bypass Valve Hose | Ported and Polished Intake Manifold DIY | RX8 Wheels w/ Nitto Motivo 235/40/18 Tires | CP-E Towplate | DIY Custom 600g Shift Knob | Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT | 30% / 15% Tint | Craven Speed Stubby Antenna | Broadway 400mm Rear View Mirror | Debadged Mazdaspeed 3

Waiting to be installed: Devil's Own Stage 2 DVC-30 Meth Injection | Damond Motorsports Meth Throttle Body Plate
On Order:
Coming Soon:
DIY Projects:

FYCN - TEAM LBN BEERS - FYCN-TEAM MUMFORD - FYCN
 Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have some locals lined up to test out the plates right now. I will have them post up their opinions and see if I am crazy or not.

If someone backs out I will have a freebie to ship out and go in order of interest from this thread.

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
 Old 09-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #31

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by sh4d0w View Post
lol just noticed... SHIFT HAMMER .. Love the name too man!
I honestly thought for the longest time that the shape of the stock weight didn't matter and that offsetting the weight like oem was not needed. I have found out through testing that making the weight offset does improve the shift feel.

The hammer design is not by coincidence. If you look carefully, the bolt holes are actually not centered in the weight either.

I've tested this a bunch of different ways and the offset weight design has the smoothest engagement into gears while still providing the solid feel while dropping into gear.

The car hits every gear perfectly now, does not fight to get into first at a stop like it had done every so often before and overall the shifter feels like it is directly attached to the transmission now (like a RWD car)

Soon to come.

WHO KNOWS? A.D.D. FTW!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turbo_Steve For This Useful Post:
ItsNox (09-23-2015), Mauro_Penguin (09-17-2015), sh4d0w (09-16-2015), WetzMS3 (09-16-2015)
 Old 09-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #32

monkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the worldmonkey.bones.007 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,025 Posts
Groans: 98
Groaned at 296 Times in 73 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I honestly thought for the longest time that the shape of the stock weight didn't matter and that offsetting the weight like oem was not needed. I have found out through testing that making the weight offset does improve the shift feel.

The hammer design is not by coincidence. If you look carefully, the bolt holes are actually not centered in the weight either.

I've tested this a bunch of different ways and the offset weight design has the smoothest engagement into gears while still providing the solid feel while dropping into gear.

The car hits every gear perfectly now, does not fight to get into first at a stop like it had done every so often before and overall the shifter feels like it is directly attached to the transmission now (like a RWD car)
I'm glad I'm not crazy that 1st and 3rd gear are pias. This cars transmission has been terrible since i got the car. You'll have to provide links to where to get these as I'd definitely like to see if this fixes those issues.

tapatalkreplace, it sucks
 Old 09-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

If someone backs out let me know. I just bought DMM SSP so I'll be able to compare the 2 if you like.
The Following User Says Thank You to sh4d0w For This Useful Post:
Farhan@DM (09-17-2015)
 Old 09-17-2015, 06:21 AM   #34

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,167 Times in 964 Posts
Groans: 438
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would love to try this. I almost want to get the TWM replacement, but fuck paying $500 for that...
monkey.bones.007 likes this.
 Old 09-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #35

Enki has disabled reputation
Thanked 19,288 Times in 4,841 Posts
Groans: 189
Groaned at 40 Times in 36 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I still think there's merit to investigating a stock shifter modification to allow for both front back and side to side movement reductions.
Vansquish (09-17-2015)
 Old 09-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #36
Police - Grammarhead

Originally Posted by Enki View Post
I still think there's merit to investigating a stock shifter modification to allow for both front back and side to side movement reductions.
Let's not forget about removing "slop" from the assembly. There's a surprising amount of play in each of the joints in the system.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
Easter Bunny (09-23-2015), ItsNox (09-23-2015), snailD (09-27-2015), speedfreak44 (09-17-2015)
 Old 09-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

The slop has bothered me from day one also. And I hate to say it but this cable tranny makes me miss the transmission in my Honda that was linkage driven. Much tighter and accurate
 Old 09-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #38
BrownBear

Farhan@DM is the leader of the worldFarhan@DM is the leader of the worldFarhan@DM is the leader of the worldFarhan@DM is the leader of the worldFarhan@DM is the leader of the worldFarhan@DM is the leader of the worldFarhan@DM is the leader of the worldFarhan@DM is the leader of the worldFarhan@DM is the leader of the worldFarhan@DM is the leader of the worldFarhan@DM is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,055 Times in 203 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

There is an incredible amount of slop in the cables themselves.

Kudos on the bad ass looking design.
 Old 09-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #39

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by speedfreak44 View Post
The slop has bothered me from day one also. And I hate to say it but this cable tranny makes me miss the transmission in my Honda that was linkage driven. Much tighter and accurate
Strongly agree. Although now that I have all the mounts modded or swapped, it improved shifting further beyond RMM-only such that it's much closer to that.
 Old 09-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #40

Not Ranked  0 score     

I plan to do the dm threesome but life takes priority and so does my underrouted intercooler piping
ItsNox and Farhan@DM like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speedfreak44 For This Useful Post:
Farhan@DM (09-22-2015), nindoja (09-23-2015)
Closed Thread

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/forum/f694/designed-my-own-short-shift-plates-193137/
Posted By For Type Date
Adapted Performance 'Shift Hammer' Short Shift Plate This thread Pingback 01-10-2016 10:40 PM