register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning
Garage Calendar Forum Rules Today's Posts Search

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning Have an ECU tuning issue? Do you want to discuss Mazdaspeed 3/6 tuning solutions? Up to date info on the latest! Piasini Reflash, Cobb Access Port, Xede, Procede, Standback, Superchips & others supported here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazda Forums / MazdaSpeed Forums - Mazdaspeed Forum with High Performance Discussions, Car Gallery, Mods Information, Street Racing Stats,
Street Racing Videos & more. The Archived MazdaspeedForums! Mazdaspeed Mazda MSF MazdaSpeedForums.org.

You are currently viewing our boards in read mode only. We are here to preserve the data and info that is useful to Mazda gear heads.

If you'd like to donate to keep this info alive, your donation will go to hosting, SSL, and domain fees.

Search Forum

Like Tree30Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #1

Ziggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,246 Times in 2,732 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default ATR tuning A BNR Stage 3

*Updated 10/27/2011

Now using load tuning. Targeting 2.4 load flat in the ABS load table. Boost is capped at 22psi, and the load error correction pushes it to 22.8psi before it stops climbing attempting to maintain the load.

I found that premium gas was severely knock limited @ 22psi to only 9* peak. I am now mixing in 3/9 E85/Gas to help this out with great results. This allows me to push to 17* peak timing and lean out to 12.0 AFR. Will be sticking with this tune for now. May attempt to move to a 4/8 mix and try to flatten out torque a little more on the top end at a future date.

Latest Log:
http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/foru...1020081102.csv

The torque "bulge" is from a slight downhill where I started my log.

BC Coilovers (-2.5º F, -1º R) \ Saitek Front Endlinks \ SPC Rear Camber Arms \ Hotchkis FSB & RSB
JBR 88 Duro RMM TMM PMM \ COBB AP (Self Tuned) \ EGT \ Oil Pres \ Oil Temp \ DashHawk

Last edited by Ziggo; 10-27-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Ziggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
3dpilot (07-17-2012), Constantin (06-15-2012), drknyte (08-19-2011), fengrs (01-04-2012), kngeducate (09-15-2011), LatinKraze (02-28-2014), paveltol (02-10-2012), rfinkle2 (08-20-2011), rghispanic88 (01-04-2012), Sacrilicious (09-25-2011)
 Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,371 Times in 6,959 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Those BATs are quite high for an FMIC ... but regardless the turbo's flowing quite well - esp past 5500 RPM.

The knock up top is probably noise - there are ways to tune some of this out by adjusting the sensitivity offset.

You will need over 20 psi to reach 2.1 load ... and with the WGDC being in the 50s you can certainly push it that far.

Consider load based tuning if you'd like quicker spool-up.

We Engineer, and that's better than just tuning!

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
drknyte (08-19-2011), tooslow10 (10-04-2011), zpele (03-15-2012)
 Old 08-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #3

Ziggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I will experiment with the timing to see if it is knock or just noise. I tend to think its real since I have never seen false knock before when tuning.

My intention is to have a load tune, but I didn't want to slap a 2.1 target in there at 6k and have it boost high enough to hit fuel cut, so I am walking it up there using boost tuning and seeing what kind of loads it is capable of hitting before I run out of room on the stock map sensor.

As for the BATS, yeah they are high for an FMIC, but its 105* in the shade out here, I bet the temperature over the asphalt is over 110, probably closer to 115, and I was only driving for a couple minutes before taking the logs after sitting and revising and flashing the maps.

EDIT*
BTW Lex, hows that guardian angel coming? I could really use one.
rfinkle2 likes this.
BC Coilovers (-2.5º F, -1º R) \ Saitek Front Endlinks \ SPC Rear Camber Arms \ Hotchkis FSB & RSB
JBR 88 Duro RMM TMM PMM \ COBB AP (Self Tuned) \ EGT \ Oil Pres \ Oil Temp \ DashHawk

Last edited by Ziggo; 08-19-2011 at 06:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
Ckmazdaspeed3 (08-20-2011), drknyte (08-19-2011), rfinkle2 (08-20-2011)
 Old 08-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
nothing to see here....

drknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the world
Groans: 39
Groaned at 43 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wish I knew what you guys are talking about

60ft: 2.167
1/8: 9.052
1/4: 13.922 @ 100.37
(26psi tire pressure & stock tires)

CP-E CAI; CP-E Turbo Inlet Pipe; CP-E RMM; Engals ETD; TRZ TM; PG ExhMani; JBarone Shifter Weight, E4 Performance Shift Knob; Solid Shifter bushings; JBarone SSP

:
drknyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drknyte For This Useful Post:
bertrand_CX_7 (08-20-2011), Domino81 (01-18-2013), redboat (02-21-2013)
 Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #5

laxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

hows the butt dyno at that boost level ?
 Old 08-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Butt dyno agrees with the results. Due to the current targets there is less torque, but higher HP. I want to stress that this is just my first cut at things. My AFRs are stupid rich, and I am not stressing the turbo at all.

I don't know that I am a huge fan of the new restricted WGDC dynamics. I can set my tables to be within 10, but based on previous experience this will drop significantly as temperatures drop. I bet I will see a drop of ~20 when temperatures drop from 105* to 70* and I dislike having my WGDC set too high as this could cause spiking.

Anybody have any experience using the load fuel cuts as a safety net? I used the boost - fuel cut before when I was tuning around my fuel pump and I was having creeping issues in below 50deg temperatures and I know that one works, but has anyone actually hit a load based fuel cut? I am trying to avoid replacing the MAP sensor for this, but I need a safety net incase a wastegate line blows off.

Attached Images
File Type: png chart1.PNG (30.5 KB, 2448 views)
File Type: png chart2.PNG (26.2 KB, 2443 views)

Last edited by Ziggo; 08-20-2011 at 01:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
Boost_creep (05-27-2012), rfinkle2 (08-20-2011)
 Old 08-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Eth/Meth Junkie

cld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,488 Times in 1,740 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like you need meth and a 3 BAR MAP sensor in a bad way...

Also have you modified your KR offset table? It is possible that the KR is real given the BAT, but it could certainly be engine noise as well. Either way it wasn't enough KR to be overly concerning.

That turbo should support 340 g/s, so it is barely working at this point...
08 MS3: ATP GTX3071 at 26PSI , AEM Dryflow 21-2147DK, CP-E 3.25'' MAF, CP-E Nviscid TIP, PG FMIC piping with Treadstone TR11 core, Cobb BPV, Ported IM, PG v1 manifold, CP-E catted DP, CNT CBE, KMD v2, Grimspeed EBCS, Alkycontrol Meth injection (M10 with 100% meth), E40 fuel, Cobb AP (ATR= WIN), ACT ZX4-HDSS, 3-Bar MAP, JBR RSB, and CP-E 60 Duro Engine Mount Set. (297.3WHP/366.9WTQ - on K04, 469.2WHP/420.7WTQ - on GTX3071)
cld12pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cld12pk2go For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (08-20-2011)
 Old 08-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am trying to keep it simple, and will probably replace the MAP sensor in the future, I am just trying to see what I can get to without replacing it. Alcohol Injection is not allowed by alot of track orgs, so no meth for me

It just too damned hot outside. fuck this heat.

I know this turbo is calling me a pussy right now, this was just my first cut, I had no data to base this map on so its crazy conservative.
 Old 08-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its still too damned hot. Its also funny, I can hear the WG pretty clearly when doing the pulls and I am still not really pushing the turbo, but I am going to go ahead and switch to the ITV22s, that knock isn't getting any better and I need to figure it out before I increase the boost more.

Boost temperatures are getting crazy, I have to figure something out about them, climbing into the 150s is not acceptable even as hot as it is outside. Maybe the Cobb FMIC is too small for this turbo? I dunno.

Attached Images
File Type: png chart1.PNG (48.8 KB, 2426 views)
File Type: png chart2.PNG (42.7 KB, 2422 views)
Attached Files
File Type: csv BNR V2_4th.csv (5.1 KB, 30 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
Boost_creep (05-27-2012)
 Old 08-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post

EDIT*
BTW Lex, hows that guardian angel coming? I could really use one.
Wish there was more than 1 of me to get this out sooner .... but it's coming along and should be here when it's getting cold.

BTW, the larger turbo should be keeping the boost temps lower ... so you should see something lower than the K04
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guardian Angel.jpg (35.6 KB, 2408 views)
rfinkle2 likes this.

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
Ckmazdaspeed3 (08-29-2011), dizzydtrain (11-22-2011), rfinkle2 (08-21-2011), Ziggo (08-20-2011), zpele (03-15-2012)
 Old 08-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #11

Ckmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,065 Posts
Groans: 134
Groaned at 22 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fuck, that thing hits full boost a lot quicker than my 2871... I should have gotten one of those!

What about e85? W 3.5 gallons and similar temps, I only had go stop increasing timing because I didn't want to go too far street tuning... I never see kr w 3.5 gallons.
Ckmazdaspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ckmazdaspeed3 For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (08-21-2011)
 Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I cant think of any reason it should spool faster than your ATP2871. The only functional difference is the ATP is a ball bearing and the BNR is a journal, so you should have the advantage there.

You are using an interrupt ECBS and an aftermarket manifold correct?

E85 isn't really an option, the closest station to me is 18mi away. If the temperatures don't drop before my trackday in September, I will be adding race gas to the tank just to be safe.

Lex, I know it will run lower boost temperatures at the compressor exit at the same flow as the K04, but it is also flowing more air, so it could be overloading the capacity of the FMIC to cool the air, particularly at these stupid high ambients.

Nobody out there knows if the load based fuel cuts are active and functional? It looks like I will have to push quite a bit of air to get to a 2.1 load at 6500, based on my last logs it will have to be something like 24/25psi.

Last edited by Ziggo; 08-21-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Ckmazdaspeed3 (08-20-2011), rfinkle2 (08-21-2011)
 Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #13
Eth/Meth Junkie

cld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the worldcld12pk2go is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am trying to keep it simple, and will probably replace the MAP sensor in the future, I am just trying to see what I can get to without replacing it. Alcohol Injection is not allowed by alot of track orgs, so no meth for me

It just too damned hot outside. fuck this heat.

I know this turbo is calling me a pussy right now, this was just my first cut, I had no data to base this map on so its crazy conservative.
Any reason you cannot run straight water? It is still a shit-ton better than nothing.

I cant think of any reason it should spool faster than your ATP2871. The only functional difference is the ATP and the BNR is a journal, so you should have the advantage there.

E85 isn't really an option, the closest station to me is 18mi away. If the temperatures don't drop before my trackday in September, I will be adding race gas to the tank just to be safe.

Lex, I know it will run lower boost temperatures at the compressor exit at the same flow as the K04, but it is also flowing more air, so it could be overloading the capacity of the FMIC to cool the air, particularly at these stupid high ambients.

Nobody out there knows if the load based fuel cuts are active and functional? It looks like I will have to push quite a bit of air to get to a 2.1 load at 6500, based on my last logs it will have to be something like 24/25psi.

The K04 turbine housing could potentially be resulting in quicker spool relative to the GT2871. It is about the only explanation given the fact that the rotational hardware is essentially identical unless the ATP is BB instead of journal. If so then the BNR probably flows a little bit less on the top end as well.

The load based fuel cut does work, but in my experience you have to be a small amount over either the load/boost fuel cut for ~1 second before they actually kick in.

Looking at your log, it appears you still have the stock KR decay rate A/B of 640 Milli-seconds. I would recommend knocking that down to about 200. Also you could go with an offset table similar to mine to help filter out any engine noise up top:

Code:
0.16	0.16	0.16	0.28	0.36	0.40	0.60	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80
0.16	0.14	0.16	0.28	0.36	0.40	0.60	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80
0.16	0.12	0.16	0.28	0.36	0.40	0.60	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80	0.80
0.16	0.12	0.16	0.33	0.45	0.50	0.75	0.90	1.00	1.05	1.10	1.10	1.10	1.10
If you are still then getting KR up top then you simply need one or more of the following:
  • more octane
  • less timing
  • less load
  • water or meth injection
Ziggo and rfinkle2 like this.
08 MS3: ATP GTX3071 at 26PSI , AEM Dryflow 21-2147DK, CP-E 3.25'' MAF, CP-E Nviscid TIP, PG FMIC piping with Treadstone TR11 core, Cobb BPV, Ported IM, PG v1 manifold, CP-E catted DP, CNT CBE, KMD v2, Grimspeed EBCS, Alkycontrol Meth injection (M10 with 100% meth), E40 fuel, Cobb AP (ATR= WIN), ACT ZX4-HDSS, 3-Bar MAP, JBR RSB, and CP-E 60 Duro Engine Mount Set. (297.3WHP/366.9WTQ - on K04, 469.2WHP/420.7WTQ - on GTX3071)

Last edited by cld12pk2go; 08-21-2011 at 06:58 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cld12pk2go For This Useful Post:
802MS3 (08-22-2011), Boost_creep (05-27-2012), Ckmazdaspeed3 (08-21-2011), laxplayermjd (08-21-2011), rfinkle2 (08-21-2011), Ziggo (08-21-2011), zpele (03-15-2012)
 Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #14

Ckmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I cant think of any reason it should spool faster than your ATP2871. The only functional difference is the ATP and the BNR is a journal, so you should have the advantage there.

Firstof all, uou are right regarding spool. I Was looking at the graphs and it seems quicker on there. But when I reviewed the log, assuming this is 4th gear, you are right.

Also, fwiw, I am at 1.9x load at 6500 before E85 and super hot weather. This isat 20.5psi.
Ziggo (08-21-2011)
 Old 08-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the help with the knock tables, I will incorporate them in the next revision. I changed to the ITV22s and went out and logged this morning before it got crazy hot, but the KR still showed up so I am thinking its false. When the KR kicked in, it seems to have caused the WGDC to drop (and the boost)

I upped to boost target to 22psi at 6k and up since I am not much worried about boost spikes in this range. This is pretty much convincing me you are going to need to upgrade the MAP sensor to get the most out of this turbo. Its borderline, but I think it could push to 23-24psi to redline before running out of breath. EGTS are just starting to touch 1600* in this log. Like others have said, the DISI head flows like shit up top, gotta really up the boost to pack the air in. I fiddled with the load targets in this revision, it seems they were restricitng my top end boost before, and it seems they are keeping me from hitting my boost targets on the low end now. The load targets are 2.1, and I am hitting those before getting to the boost target on the low end. Still not sure what exactly the boost toggle does if this is the case...

Attached Images
File Type: png chart1.PNG (33.5 KB, 2333 views)
File Type: png chart2.PNG (27.8 KB, 2334 views)
Attached Files
File Type: csv BNR V2.03_4th.csv (4.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Ziggo; 08-21-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Boost_creep (05-27-2012), rfinkle2 (08-21-2011)
 Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

For reference, a compressor map with a red dot at my operating point @ 21.3psi. 24psi will push it a bit beyond the current map. 22psi is probably all its got reliably as that would land right on the final shaft speed line, so I don't think upgrading the map sensor is really going to gain me much.

Attached Images
File Type: png 2871_MAP_V2_operating_point.PNG (266.3 KB, 2361 views)
rfinkle2 likes this.
rfinkle2 (08-22-2011), zpele (03-15-2012)
 Old 08-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
Eth/Meth Junkie

Not Ranked  0 score     

For reference, a compressor map with a red dot at my operating point @ 21.3psi. 24psi will push it a bit beyond the current map. 22psi is probably all its got reliably as that would land right on the final shaft speed line, so I don't think upgrading the map sensor is really going to gain me much.

You can still overspin it a little beyond the last speed line, but I agree you probably don't want much more than ~22-23 PSI at 6000 RPMs and maybe 21-22 PSI at 6500 RPMs.

You could push 24-26 at lower RPMs though and still be on the island. It just depends on what you are looking for.
rfinkle2 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cld12pk2go For This Useful Post:
Boost_creep (05-27-2012), rfinkle2 (08-22-2011)
 Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am staying away from higher psi at lower RPMs because I still have Stock injector seals.

My project next summer (assuming the child I have on the way that I just learned about doesn't interfere) is the intake manifold, injector seals, and stud/nut crows feet along with secondary fuel injection. Will probably replace the MAP sensor with a 3bar at that point and then start retuning to make more torque.

Still saw the knock up top in my new logs though the new decay rate makes it much more easy to isolate. I will just have to cut some timing and see if that fixes it. (back to 9* peak timing, down 5* from my K04 tune)

---
- Zigatapatalkreplacea
rfinkle2 likes this.
Boost_creep (05-27-2012), rfinkle2 (08-22-2011)
 Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #19
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Not Ranked  0 score     

If the turbo has breath up top, try adding some intake advance via VVT in the upper RPMs and see if that increases flow across the motor.
rfinkle2 likes this.

www.stratifiedauto.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
Boost_creep (05-27-2012), rfinkle2 (10-21-2011), Ziggo (08-22-2011), zpele (03-15-2012)
 Old 08-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

V3 Log from earlier today. Only changes were to the knock tables, and some very small tweaks to the WGDC table.

Going to make some timing tweaks tonight to see if I can get rid of that top end knock and add in Dano's VVT tables. Also going to start logging VVT in preparation for making some changes there. This is all the boost I will be pushing at redline, starting to kiss EGTs of 1750* now. I want to spice up the midrange some, but I am not sure at what load the injector seals start to lift. My feeling is 2.1 is safe, 2.3 is risky, and 2.5 is eventually going to cause problems....
Attached Images
File Type: png chart1.PNG (33.6 KB, 2282 views)
File Type: png chart2.PNG (27.8 KB, 2287 views)
Attached Files
File Type: csv BNR V3_4th.csv (4.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Ziggo; 08-22-2011 at 06:43 PM.
rfinkle2 (08-23-2011), zpele (03-15-2012)
 Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The degree of timing I pulled worked and I finally got a clean pull in with no knock. I am down to 9.5* peak timing now though, down from 15* on the K04. My loads are higher so I would expect it to come down some, maybe to 13*, but I seem to have reached the limit for 93oct gas.

Will start testing VVT changes with the following strategy.

Increase by +5 across the rev/load range all cells below 35 and take a WOT log.

In areas where I am limited by load, see if the boost psi drops, in areas limited by boost, see if the load goes up. Make adjustments to the VVT table accordingly at the measured load points and all load points above.

Once WOT is stable, repeat the process at lower load levels by using custom maps with nerfed throttle DBW tables and lower TRL tables New logs will be done at wot as well but the throttle plate won't open as much so I should be able to take logs that carry a constant load across the rev range even at PSIs below WG spring pressure. All these will be load limited, so benefit will be evaluated by boost psi.

Anything in error with this plan? My spring pressure is 16, so in order to evaluate this down to a 1.0 load I need the throttle to help limit boost.

---
- Zigatapatalkreplacea
rfinkle2 likes this.
BlueStreak (08-25-2011)
 Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Rechecked the rules today, and it seems NASA TT has changed its rulebook to allow methanol injection as long as the mixture does not exceed 50/50 and you don't use it as a fuel (whatever the fuck that means)

Things that make you go hmmmmm

---
- Zigatapatalkreplacea
rfinkle2 likes this.

Last edited by Ziggo; 08-24-2011 at 10:53 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
Ckmazdaspeed3 (08-24-2011), rfinkle2 (08-24-2011), zpele (03-15-2012)
 Old 08-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #23
Eth/Meth Junkie

Not Ranked  0 score     

Rechecked the rules today, and it seems NASA TT has changed its rulebook to allow methanol injection as long as the mixture does not exceed 50/50 and you don't use it as a fuel (whatever the fuck that means)

Things that make you go hmmmmm

---
- Zigatapatalkreplacea
So basically they want to keep it non-flammable.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cld12pk2go For This Useful Post:
Fobio (08-24-2011), rfinkle2 (08-24-2011), Ziggo (08-24-2011), zpele (03-15-2012)
 Old 08-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #24
Driver

Fobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,622 Times in 931 Posts
Groans: 44
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The local series (CASC - Ontario Time Attack) also associate methanol injection with nitro methane...lol...but once we explained to them it's water/alcohol injection, they were more than OK with it.
DONE . Cobb AP 22-psi Self-Tuned . ATP GT3071 . CP-e 3.25" MAF+4" inlet . Denso ITV-24 . CP-e HPFP . CP-e FMIC . Turbosmart Ultimate BPV . 50/50 Meth w/ M5 nozzle . PTP IM Spacer+EGR delete . GrimmSpeed EBCS 3-port . SteedSpeed Mani . CP-e TBE . Greddy OCC w/ 2nd PCV valve . F2 BSD + oil-pan baffle . Hawk HP+ pads . Goodridge SS brake lines w/ Ford Super Dot 4 . Cobb Springs+FSB . Tri-Point RSB+Endlinks . Koni Yellows . KMAC Camber Plates . 60mm Boost Gauge . TWM Complete Shifter w/ JBR SSP+weight . CP-e RMM+PTP trans+kicker mount . Sparco Harness Bar w/ MOMO 4-pt harness . Rays/Volks 57F 18x8.5" +45mm 235/40/18 Hankook V12 . BBS RK 17x8" +45mm 235/45/17 RA1/R6 . OEM Snowflakes w/ 215/50/17 Nitto NT-SN1 . 3rd in CSCS 2009 Time Attack Championship - Super Street FWD . 360whp/390wtrq . SOON . 3-bar MAP sensor .
MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is ALWAYS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

"It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down."
-- Mario Andretti --
Fobio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fobio For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (09-11-2011), zpele (03-15-2012)
 Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, now I just have to figure out out how to put a decent MAF based kit together. I never looked into it before because I got looked at like I was crazy when I asked if it was legal.

I think the hardest part will be finding a spot to mount a 2 gal tank. I don't think I would want to go less than that due to sloshing concerns and to give myself headroom for a 10 gal/hr nozzle.

---
- Zigatapatalkreplacea
 Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #26
Eth/Meth Junkie

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, now I just have to figure out out how to put a decent MAF based kit together. I never looked into it before because I got looked at like I was crazy when I asked if it was legal.

I think the hardest part will be finding a spot to mount a 2 gal tank. I don't think I would want to go less than that due to sloshing concerns and to give myself headroom for a 10 gal/hr nozzle.

---
- Zigatapatalkreplacea
I run a 3QT tank with an M7 and only fill up about once per week.

Install thread with pics here including how to wire for MAF:

How to install an Alkycontrol kit with PAC controller.
rfinkle2 (09-11-2011), Ziggo (08-24-2011)
 Old 08-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #27

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

To have the warm and fuzzies I need a big enough tank to run at WOT for 15 minutes. The progressive controller should keep the consumption down, but at the end of a long session I am already distracted by managing overheating tires and brakes, I don't want to be worrying about the amount of meth I have left too.

---
- Zigatapatalkreplacea
 Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I found a local shop that rents their dynojet for 100$/hr so I will plan on getting on there sometime next week to develop the VVT tables. Will be posting results here so I am mentioning others that I know of with 2871s so they can take advantage. Should be pretty consistent across cars provided you have a TBE.

@Dano2010
@Ckmazdaspeed3
Ckmazdaspeed3 (08-25-2011)
 Old 08-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by cld12pk2go View Post
I run a 3QT tank with an M7 and only fill up about once per week.

Install thread with pics here including how to wire for MAF:

How to install an Alkycontrol kit with PAC controller.
How much should I expect to pay for an alkycontrol system? I think I will have to call and setup a custom kit as they don't have one listed for mazdas, but just curious on the ballpark figure.
rfinkle2 (10-21-2011)
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #30

BlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,088 Times in 1,066 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
The local series (CASC - Ontario Time Attack) also associate methanol injection with nitro methane...lol...but once we explained to them it's water/alcohol injection, they were more than OK with it.
Wow. You'd think an organization that governs car racing would have an idea of what WMI is...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueStreak For This Useful Post:
Fobio (08-26-2011), rfinkle2 (03-15-2012)
 Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, I have a catted DP and stock cbe. Will that make a big dif?

That should be pretty cool though. I only got half way through mine before the clutch issue... All I know is that 35° got me the best spool, but I never finished finding where to start to taper it or how quickly I could taper it off.

Send me your pay pal and I'll send u twenty bucks because I know that u will save me tons of time! Also, I know that you understand this stuff a lot better than I do, so u will get better info I'm sure.
Ziggo (08-25-2011)
 Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #32

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't worry about the $$. Maybe I find some magical results, maybe it makes no difference, more likely I find a few percent here and there and improve spool in a range where only I care about (4.5k and up)

I would just do it on the street, but the idea of 20+ highway pulls in one area makes me nervous about police.

The stock CBE might be a bit limiting on the top end, I am using a catted DP as well, and I think Dano is too.
Ckmazdaspeed3 (08-25-2011)
 Old 08-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #33
Eth/Meth Junkie

Not Ranked  0 score     

How much should I expect to pay for an alkycontrol system? I think I will have to call and setup a custom kit as they don't have one listed for mazdas, but just curious on the ballpark figure.
I would expect somewhere in the ~$500 range, but that is just a guess. Just call up Julio for a quote.

I have had my kit for 7 years, and I am still loving it. It is simply the best out there (in my opinion).
rfinkle2 (09-11-2011), Ziggo (08-26-2011)
 Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Update: I never made it to the dyno to tune, but it's holding up fine on the track. Not seeing any knock, but I am mixing 3 gal of 109 to 9 gal of 93.

Zigatapatalkreplacea
BlueStreak (09-11-2011), rfinkle2 (09-11-2011)
 Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #35
Eth/Meth Junkie

Not Ranked  0 score     

Update: I never made it to the dyno to tune, but it's holding up fine on the track. Not seeing any knock, but I am mixing 3 gal of 109 to 9 gal of 93.

Zigatapatalkreplacea
1/4 mile time and mph?
 Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #36

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by cld12pk2go View Post
1/4 mile time and mph?
Wrong kind of track, lol. Don't have a better way to judge other than I was about even with a camaro ss on the straights. Still getting walked by Z06 corvettes, and one very stock looking V8 miata. (he missed his apex and I set him up for a pass, but he surprised the hell out of me when he it the go pedal)

My clutch is starting to get overheated though. Could be power, but I know part of it is I can't heel-toe this car for shit when wearing my driving shoes, and at 40k miles and lots of trackdays it could just be giving up the ghost. I am going to put on a fatter gas pedal and clutch before my next trackday.

Zigatapatalkreplacea
 Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #37

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Trackday report & lap video:

MSR Cresson 3.1 9/10&11/2011

Zigatapatalkreplacea
 Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #38

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

FWIW, Virtual dyno says my shit is slow. I tend to agree, but think I fail at it somehow too. The curve looks like crap for some reason. I don't see anything in the log that would make it do that funny kick but who knows...

I may need to do a compression check. 22psi/300 hp doesn't really compute.
Attached Images
File Type: png CD_4th.PNG (40.3 KB, 2008 views)
rfinkle2 (10-21-2011)
 Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #39

BlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,088 Times in 1,066 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ziggo, my VD logs were doing the same thing. Turns out compression was way down in cylinder 3 due to a cracked ring land.

Hope yours isnt as bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueStreak For This Useful Post:
Ziggo (09-15-2011)
 Old 09-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #40

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Ziggo, my VD logs were doing the same thing. Turns out compression was way down in cylinder 3 due to a cracked ring land.

Hope yours isnt as bad.
That is not encouraging.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
BigjohnB20 (09-15-2011), Ckmazdaspeed3 (09-15-2011), Realgib3 (10-12-2011), rfinkle2 (09-15-2011)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforum.org/forum/forum/f9/atr-tuning-bnr-stage-3-a-89309/
Posted By For Type Date
Turboaufladung - [ALLE] BNR Turbo Upgrades This thread Refback 03-01-2013 12:02 PM
[ALLE] BNR Turbo Upgrades - Turboaufladung - mazda-mps.de This thread Refback 11-13-2012 02:00 AM
BNR Tuning - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 11-02-2012 07:05 PM